Enclosure for Stoker

Jeff Fasbender

Hey everyone. I've been a long time lurker and have just finally signed up for an account to post on the forum. I ordered and just received a stoker from Rock's BBQ. I'm planning on building a custom, all weather enclosure that I can bolt right to my deck near where my WSM is located. The enclosure will house the stoker, a wireless bridge, and provide power and connections for all of the electronics. I figured I would snap a few pictures as I go along as I thought some may be interested in the topic. More to come soon!

J

I would love to see your build and ideas.
icon_smile.gif
I have been building on in my head. I found a couple of posts with pictures but no details. Not sure, what all they have in the box (equipment). I am not sure how their cutting the box. I have a little time waiting on a blower and probes.

Jeff,

Looking good, I am definately going to make some sort of weather proof enclosure. With regards to your setup. is there any need for cooling/ventilation? Could get pretty hot in that enclosure. I don't know how the stoker responds to heat.

Lennart

That heat issue is a valid concern. If it gets to be a problem, there is some space in the enclosure that I could add some exhaust fans. I would like to try to avoid this if possible, as it would somewhat defeat the purpose of the enclosure.

I think the box is pretty much done for now. I configured and mounted the wireless bridge so everything is talking. Everything fit in the box a little better than I was expecting actually. I'll attach a picture of the final product for now.

photo.jpg

Should heat become a problem and seeing as you have a metal enclosure, you might even be able to use a heat pipe principle instead of fans if you want to keep the weather proof concept.

I am thinking of using a pelican case as the base for an enclosure.

Looks Great. Have a question tho. I want to do something similar when mine comes in but i worry a metal box may make the whole setup weigh too much to be convient. Whats your setup weigh? Also what did you do for passing the probe wires through the box? were you able to keep that weatherproof too?

Jeff
Looks great neat and tidy. I am curious what the internal dimensions are.
Are all wireless bridges that small, what kind is it? I haven’t gone to the store to look at one yet. I thought they would be the size of a wireless router. Your metal box is got me thinking about doing one out of metal. I had previously been thinking of Tupperware. But after you have shown your finished product, I can see the value of doing out of metal build it one time. Vs Tupperware will eventually get tore up. What kind of box is it can I find one at the hardware store?
Thanks for sharing the pictures

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by R Michaud:
Looks Great. Have a question tho. I want to do something similar when mine comes in but i worry a metal box may make the whole setup weigh too much to be convient. Whats your setup weigh? Also what did you do for passing the probe wires through the box? were you able to keep that weatherproof too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would estimate that the entire box weighs about 20 pounds. I don't think it's too much of a burden if you wanted to transport it somewhere. I used liquid tight NM electrical fittings in the bottom of the box to pass the probe and fan wires.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by estewart:
Jeff
Looks great neat and tidy. I am curious what the internal dimensions are.
Are all wireless bridges that small, what kind is it? I haven’t gone to the store to look at one yet. I thought they would be the size of a wireless router. Your metal box is got me thinking about doing one out of metal. I had previously been thinking of Tupperware. But after you have shown your finished product, I can see the value of doing out of metal build it one time. Vs Tupperware will eventually get tore up. What kind of box is it can I find one at the hardware store?
Thanks for sharing the pictures </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The dimensions of the box are 12"x12"x6", and it's an off the shelf electrical enclosure made by Hoffman. I was able to source mine through a local electrical distributor, but I think a Grainger or McMaster Carr may also carry something similar. The bridge is one that I picked up at my local Best Buy. It's a Linksys model WET610N.

Take a look at McMaster Carr part number 7649K12. This enclosure is very similar to the one I used, but it's sized 12"x10"x6". I think you could get by with this enclosure if you're tidy.
icon_wink.gif

Back