Enameled Cast Iron for grilling?

Rolf Jacobsen

TVWBB Emerald Member
There is a question mark in the title because that is my question. Is it suitable for use on the grill? We went to Bed Bath & Beyond today, (Another first for me), and I spotted some cookware by Fontignac. Specifically a 5 Qt French Oven and a grill/skillet. I'm a puppy at this stuff and I know it can be fragile and requires a little more attention in the care department. But is it suitable for grilling?

As Always.... Thanks,
Rolf

Porceloin coated metal is very corrosion & heat resistant ( think WSM)
However at extreme heat the differential expansion between the porceloin coating & the steel can cause micocracks & lead to failure. Think porceloin coated flavorizer bars!
On the grate at moderate temps ( below 450F ) its ok to cook smoked beans & other sides.
However the smoke stain on the outside of the pot/ Dutch oven is a bear to get off & will pi// off your wife!

How old is your golden?

Porceloin coated metal is very corrosion & heat resistant ( think WSM)
However at extreme heat the differential expansion between the porceloin coating & the steel can cause micocracks & lead to failure. Think porceloin coated flavorizer bars!
On the grate at moderate temps ( below 450F ) its ok to cook smoked beans & other sides.
However the smoke stain on the outside of the pot/ Dutch oven is a bear to get off & will pi// off your wife!

How old is your golden?

Thanks John, I appreciate it. I posted a similar question on the Kitchen Equipment Board and was told it’s a no-no. I did a little research and decided it was probably not a good idea. On the other hand, SWMBO wanted it for the kitchen so we are a little poorer. A standard cast iron Dutch Oven is now on my list for the grills and smoker.

The Golden in my avatar is actually a photo of our second one. He passed and we are now on our third. All have been rescue dogs and while they all have a little baggage with them, we have been very lucky so far. Our current one is almost seven and we got him at three. He truly, truly likes to help me grill or BBQ.

011-L.jpg

Good looking doggie! I'm a golden lover myself! ;)

The Golden in my avatar is actually a photo of our second one. He passed and we are now on our third. All have been rescue dogs and while they all have a little baggage with them, we have been very lucky so far. Our current one is almost seven and we got him at three. He truly, truly likes to help me grill or BBQ.

John, Andy, it was not my intent to make this a dog thread BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Very nice friends you both have there. Thanks so much for sharing the pictures.
Rolf

Back