emergency question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The bird is on....and the fire has had an excellent temp curve (approx 270 at the dome). The bird weighs approx. 16 lbs and I started the smoke at 8:00 am...planning to cook until approx. 2pm. The polder probe in the breast, however, read 162 degrees already and it's 11:00am.....What next? Should I continue on until the scheduled time?
If anyone is online, my family would appreciate the help!!!
Thanks..and have a blessed holiday.

SAM,

Do you have any other thermometers? It would be good to have some confirmation that the probe is accurate. If that is your only thermometer, you can check it quickly in some boiling water. That should give you an approximation of the accuracy.

Once you are confident in your thermometer, stick the probe in different places in the breast and see if you get similar readings. Then, stick it in the thickest part of the thigh and see where that is. It should be 170 or more to be good and done. It is common to have the breast finish before the thigh.

If the thermometer is way off, cook until the legs move easily in their joints. This is not an exact science, but without a thermometer, it is about all you have.

Sometimes things cook faster than expected. Good luck,

George

George:
You da man. I sort of thought of re-checking the accuracy of my probes as you suggest...I guess I just needed a little encouragement.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back