Eliminating Nitrates From One's Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don C.

TVWBB Super Fan
The wife just got back from the doctor and he said that nitrates and she do not get along. He has told her no more BBQ. The doc on the other hand can't wait to come over.

*cries* What am I to do?
icon_frown.gif

Where exactly do these nitrates come from and is it possible to eliminate them from the cooking process.

Rath *forgive my ignorance*

Nitrates are used in the curing process. You might be buying meat that has been enhanced. Check lable carefully. Ribs are a good canidate for the enhancing thing. Later Bryan

Thanks Byran, I will check the labels more carefully. So, nitrates are not induced with any rubs or smoke then? She seems to think they may be added then also.

Rath *might see a glimer of hope*

That would be a good question for Doug D. Rath need not worry, there is light at the end of the tunnel, and it's not as far as you think. Keep your chin up and if you have to just make your own rub and don't buy enhanced meat. Rath and the little lady will be fine. Later Bryan

Would any of the binders contribute to the nitrates forming /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Would lump be better. Maybe cutting out enhanced meat if you were using it and try cutting back on smoke wood might help. Maybe enhanced meat, smokewood, charcoal = nitrate overload. Mabe you can find a happy medium Rath, that she can tolerate? Don't give up Never give up. Don't know just trying to help a fallen comrade. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Thanks Doug.

I appreciate the suggestions Bryan. She is being a trooper. She said that she's not giving up and wants to experiment.

Rath *will never give up*

Do you use well water? that can contain nitrates. probally different but i'm not a doctor just a feller q'er trying to help.

Rath, if you ever get up this way let me know maybe you could stop in, and eat some Beef (my favorite food group.)Later Bryan

Rath, were only one state away. How bout delmonicos and portabellas chared on the weber kettle, with homemade Idaho fries double fried in peanut oil. Droll rolling down chin now. Bryan must clean up /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Rathmon,

My wife has a similar problem. She get a migrane if she overdoes it. Mostly red wine & preserved foods like hot dogs. She will still have a dog or bacon, but only in moderation and if she is feeling okay to start. If she is on the verge of a headache it is a sure thing if she has a hot dog. I was not aware of the nitrites produced in the smoking process. My wife has not complained yet, but I am going to remember to notice (afraid to ask before hand as not to jinx myself).

Good luck dude.

What part of NJ are you in ? Eamil me....jeffyr@optonline.net

From Doug Ds linked post ...
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> When "smoking" (smoke cooking) in a cooker such as the WSM, nitrites are formed during the combustion of smokewoods (and charcoal for that matter) when nitrogen in the wood combines with oxygen in the air to form NO2 (nitrogen dioxide). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Long gone for me are the days of chemical naming rules recollection. Nehow, Rath you said your wife can't take nitrAtes... Doug's post states nitrItes are produced smoking or cooking over charcoal (makes no mention of gas grilling though??).

If you avoided using Accent, Tender Quick etc., perhaps there is no issue because nitrites are not nitrates? Surely there is some difference between manufactured/added chemicals and what goes on in the WSM???

That 'jerky' meat that sits on the counter for months or years at the gas stations uses nitrates ... but I wouldn't leave meat from my smoker longer than overnight on the counter.

LOL Shawn!!! Nay, I not be trading her in yet!!
icon_razz.gif
Anyway thanks for the encouragement. I did buy Accent and ditched it.

And she is not to happy with the doc either, going back as the problem seems to have not gotten better and she is starting to think it might not be the Q

Rath *gonna have to bring up the differences of Nitrites and Nitrates to the little woman*

Nitrates are in the smoke. It's the chemical reaction of nitrates with the meat that makes the smoke ring. It sounds like your wife shouldn't eat smoked foods.

Maybe TomKattt,
Been grill with smoke for years on her say so, might be an overdose of Q since well all know what it's like to get the WSM and smoke our brains out.

Then again it might be something else as she's been 2 weeks free of Q *sighs* and still the same symptoms.

Rath *not giving up*

I can speak about migranes. I have to be carful with red wine, caffine, and preserved Q. The Q I make has never triggered an attack. I know for myself I can feel the start of one coming on, if I catch it early and take motrin or naprosin I can save a lot of pain from happening. I hope it all works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back