1/2 cup masa harina
3 tablespoons cold water
1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn kernels
3 tablespoons cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1) Whip butter and shortening in mixing bowl until fluffy and creamy. Add masa harina gradually and mix thoroughly. Add water gradually, mixing thoroughly.

2) Blend corn kernels until coarsley chopped. Stir into masa mixture.

3) Mix cornmeal, sugar, whipping cream, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add butter-masa mixture; mix until blended.

4) Pour masa mixture into 8" greased baking pan. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees until corn cake is firm, 40 to 50 minutes. Allow to stand at room temperature 15 minutes before cutting into squares. Or use ice cream scoop to serve.

Each serving contains about: 147 calories; 76 mg sodium; 16 mg cholesterol; 9 grams fat; 17 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams protein; 0.21 grams fiber.

Recipe By Los Angeles Times; http://www.pastrywiz.com/archive/eltorito.htm

This looks suspiciously similar to Chi Chi's Style Corn Cake.
icon_smile.gif

Also like the corn cakes from Chevy's:

5 tablespoons margarine, softened
1/4 cup Masa Harina
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen, thawed, divided
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon milk

Directions:

In a small mixing bowl, mix the margarine, masa and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.

In a blender container, blend half the corn kernels with the water until smooth. Combine this mixture with the margarine mixture, stirring well. Add the remaining corn kernels, corn meal, baking powder, salt and milk and mix well.

Pour the corn mixture into an 8-inch square baking pan. Tightly cover with plastic wrap and steam by setting atop a medium saucepan of water on top of the stove. Bring water to a boil and steam corn mixture for 50 minutes to one hour (check to see whether you might need to add more water), until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Tomalito should have a smooth, moist texture.

NOTE: The pan must be tightly wrapped at all times

Yes, this is the recipe, but I altered the cooking times, since the filling was displacing a large volume of uncooked material. Obviously you could add whatever you wanted to. The time I cooked was about 30 minutes, then bumped the heat to broil for the cheese topping to brown during an additional 4-5 minutes. But I didn't leave, I stayed and watched so as not to burn them.

Back