Eighty People and a WSM

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ok Folks; here?s the report I promised on cooking ribs and butts for 80 people on a single WSM. Sorry it's a bit late.

Executive Summary: It worked. It worked wonderfully. Not a single technical glitch, due mostly to advice that I received here at the VWB forum. I would have been in trouble otherwise.

The only bad part: Three solid days of 24 hour smoker supervision. I was bushed.

The task: Smoking twenty slabs of full-sized pork side ribs, St. Louis cut; and six boneless pork butts, each approximately six pounds. I had from Thursday morning ?till Saturday afternoon. Dinner was to be served at 5:00 on Saturday.

- I started Thursday morning, and did two batches of side ribs, six slabs per batch, each for about six hours.

- Here?s where the advice from this forum kicked in. Thank GAWD that Steve B. recommended doing the butts overnight from Thursday to Friday. My initial plan was to get up early and do them during the day on Friday. I wouldn?t have made it.

- I couldn?t fit all six butts in at once, so I had to settle for four. They took 15 hours to reach 190 degrees. It?s now about three p.m. on Friday.

- We started pulling the pork butts and put on a batch of 8 slabs of side ribs (a personal record). I didn?t roll them, just sort of ?weaved? them through my el-cheapo rib racks.

- On Friday night I did another overnight session that night for the two remaining butts. We pulled them on Saturday morning. By noon all the meat was in roasting pans in refrigerators. At about three p.m. we began warming all the meat for dinner in as many ovens as we could commandeer.

Here?s a few other details:

I cleaned all the grease and other crap out of the smoker at about the half-way point.

I used two large bags of lump charcoal in total.

People kept showing up to raid the food throughout the cooking process. I reckoned this was a good sign.

Stainless steel Food warmers are a great help when serving pre-cooked BBQ to a crowd. They look good, and they keep the food at a safely elevated temperature. Costco has a real nice one, with water jacket, for about $40. We used three of them. If you don?t want to buy them they can be rented for about eight bucks each.

I made three different finishing sauces for the pulled pork (vinegar, mustard, sweet-tomato). People liked the choice.

We also served slaw, pintos, a tossed salad, veggie and fruit trays, and a few desserts.

Much thanks to all who helped.

Cheers,

Scott.

Scott,

Congratulations! Sounds like you might want to consider buying another WSM.

Mr S.

[This message has been edited by Mr Squeaky (edited 09-05-2001).]

Hey Scott:
Congratulations; sounds like your WSM day in the spot light was very successful! Mine's coming this Friday and Saturday so keep your fingers crossed! Unlike your heroic effort, I'm sharing the chef duties with a fellow worker and will only be responsible for the ribs that hopefully will be as good as yours sounded.
....John

Scott,

Congrats on your success! Cooking for that many people really puts the pressure on! Just curious; did you have many leftovers?

Steve

Hi Steve.

LOTS of leftovers, especially the pulled pork. There must have been enough meat for around 90 sandwiches (about 15 per butt). The ribs yielded about 120 pieces (six per slab).

Of course hind-sight is 20/20. Before the event we were actually worried that there might not be enough. Go figure.

Cheers,

Scott.

Scott:

I can relate with the left-overs. My brother & I did a 120 Lbs. whole hog for his son's graduation party, and only 35-40 folks made it due to poor weather.

If you ever have the chance to B-B-Q a whole hog (whatever size), it's well worth the experience. After it cools a while, you can begin to butcher it by hand. Here's the pork loin roast, there's the ribs, is that the bacon? It was quite revealing, but be sure not to perform this in front of the squeamish. I swear we lost all the women-folk and kids when my brother yanked Porky's head off and held it up like a scene out of Lord of the Flies.

Just my observations,

Weber Dave

Scott, Congratulations on your success. It must be a real sense of accomplishment to pull something like that off. For the Millenium New Years I put on a 10-course dinner for 20 people out of my little suburban kitchen. That was difficult enough, even with all the advance prep, but 80 people must be darned intimidating.

WeberDave, your whole hog brings a question to mind. Is there an accurate person to pound ratio you should abide to when orderinmg your hog to make sure you have enough for everyone and leftovers besides?

Hey DarrenC:

I'm not all that sure what the correct answer would be considering how much waste there is with the bones, crackle, fat, and other inedibles (head). My guess would be that a pound per person would be safe, but I'll let a B.B.Q. whole hog Pro answer that one.

Anyone...anyone...?

Oh yeah, one last tip from a dear friend: If you are one of the "carvers", and feel the need to sample the product...do everyone a favor and get a plate, place the meat on the plate, and get lost. It's a major turn-off for the "customers" to see the carvers eating the pig like baboons devouring a warthog. That's her two cents, but I must agree.

Weber Dave

Good morning all:
Picnic update; SUCCESS and a great learning experience at smoking large amounts of meat! All ribs were devoured by shortly after noon with kudos and folks asking for more! Starting on Thursday evening, I trimmed, slathered (with French's Mustard) and rubbed down 15 racks of spare ribs using 5 different rubs (Kirk's, Willingham's, etc). I smoked (non-stop) beginning Friday at 5:00AM and ending Saturday at 4:30AM using 1/3 apple, 1/3 cherry, 1/3 hickory over Kingsford briquettes following the Minion Method (w/water). The WSM was smooth as silk settling in at 250 degrees and staying there like a champ through three complete smokes of 7 1/2 hours each. Just so you'll know, I gave the credit where it was due, to the WSM for being the beautifully engineered device that it is but mostly to all of you for your excellent advice and encouragement. Thanks to y'all the rib portion of the picnic was a tremendous success and no, catering is not in my future?.extremely satisfying but some of the most tedious, concentrated work I've done in a while!
....John

Bravo, John!

You're inspired us all! Congratulations on your Mega-Cook! When do we get samples?

Rita

Hi John.

Sounds like a great success.

I agree with you about the catering part. We work best when we play; and hobbies that turn into professions soon lose their appeal, and therefore their zeal. Gawd, what corny prose I'm writing tonight. Bad enough to inflict a bellyfull of blight; I'll quit now, and shrink out of sight, in fright, of what might.... bite....

Cheers,

Scott.

ScottM
The only that I can see that went wrong was
you where using only one WSM!
biggrin.gif

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back