Effect of Rub on Brined Bird Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Lewis

TVWBB Super Fan
I saw a discussion thread in the recipes section from "Hoss New Member #19" who asked about whether he should be concerned about salt in the rub after brining his turkey. Unfortunately, there was not much follow up to his question. Should you reduce the amount of salt in the rub to compensate for the salt in the brine and by what ratio? I have been tasked with preparing the Christmas bird and intend to brine it with the buttermilk brine recipe that Dan Gill posts on his website which calls for 1 1/2 cups kosher salt and rub it with the chicken on a throne rub from Smoke & Spice. I can't recall the exact amount of salt in the rub, but should I reduce the amount of salt in the rub or delete the salt from the rub entirely?

Hi Dave,

I wouldn't worry too much about the salt. I usually brine all my birds in a simple salt/garlic/water bath, and even when I've simply salt and pepper a chicken after that, I've never had it tast too salty. It is possible to overbring with strong flavored brines, but with a whole turkey, I think it's pretty tough to do.

What I would watch for is the mixing of the flavored brine and the rub you plan on using. Test it with a chicken or something first. Flavored brines sometimes surprise people, and if it clashes with your rub, you could have a bird that doesn't suit most people.

Good Luck!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

Good point about the flavors clashing. As my cooking experience progesses, I'm gradually learning that lesser it often better. I re-read the buttermilk brine recipe, and think I will just rub a little canola oil on the bird to help crisp the skin and call it good.

Hi Dave,

I used Gill's Buttermilk Brined Turkey recipe for the T'day bird. Just follow the recipe. I went light on the hot sauce (a tsp. of Tiger Sauce) instead of 2 Tbs. of Frank's. Paint the bird with neutral oil--Canola or Olive oil when you insert the bird, again at half time, again at three quarters. I took it to 180* internal. Dome temp. 335*until interna ltemp. reaches 100* then reduce dome temp to 250* to finish. Cook dry; no water in the pan. You won't need to enhance the turkey with a rub or any other flavoring. Believe me, it will turn out just right!

willg

Dave,

Just watch out if you buy already pre-brined turkeys like Butterball.

If you place this brined turkey in a brining solution with a rub it will come out too salty. I did it the first time I did a turkey and it was indeed salty.

Other than that you should be safe.

A couple of extra tips:
1) Truss the bird up so the legs and wings are integral with the body of the bird
Food Network has a very good example on proper trussing of the bird:

Truss Turkey

2) Rub the bird skin liberally with soft butter

3) Don't be afraid to use a bouquet of crushed fresh herbs including thyme, rosemary and bay leaves in the bird and on the outside.

4) Run the smoker hotter at about 350F at the top vent with no water in the water pan (foil it). This will crisp up the skin and roast it to a golden amber brown.

5) Use smaller amounts of smoking wood or none at all for a really good flavor...with no smoking wood you have a slight smoked flavor that you can't put our finger on...it is delicious. You can get away with just a little wood.

I did the above for our Thanksgiving turkey and it was absolutely perfect.

Regards,
PrestonD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back