Effect of Mustard

adam clyde

TVWBB Pro
I've noticed that quite a few folks slather their butts with mustard (that just sounds wrong) before applying a rub.

Question is, what kind of flavor does the mustard impart? How strong of a mustard flavor results after smoking? I like that it acts as a sort of adhesive, but not sure I want a strong "mustard" flavor.

I used W-Shire sauce for a while, went to mustard and have no problems with it. I think it helps hold the rub better than W-Shire. No one even noticed a difference when I made the switch.

adam
The vinegar in the mustard will evaporate after a few hours. It will not give it a mustard flavour, chances are your rub will contribute more to the taste. At any rate, you're only flavouring the surface.
Try mustard on part and worcester sauce on the rest, see what happens.

morgan

Ive never noticed a difference in taste with mustard and without. It helps hold on the rub and thats about it IMO and I only really use it on brisket. Ribs are tacky enough to hold rub well enough without it.
For butts I would rather miz a little apple jucie in with my rub and make a paste . It coats the butts better and more evenly plus you dont use half as much rub

I concur with Morgan that IME there is no mustard flavor after smoking. I know someone who smoked two butts at the same time, one with mustard and one without. He said the one with mustard had a better bark than the one without.

That being said, since no mustard flavor remains and its mainly to hold the rub in place, I use the cheapest plain old yellow mustard I can find.

I was scared of finding a mustard taste at the end of the cook, but nope! Just a lovely bark. I use (very el cheapo yellow stuff) all the time now!

I used mustard for a while but have gone to using nothing but rub on meat allowing the meat juices and rub making my bark, it has served me very well.
Jim
PS: a little Worcestershire sauce makes a big difference in flavor prints. I don't care for the effect of washing a butt or brisket down in worcestershire and using it to apply rub. I find it way over kill.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adamclyde:
I've noticed that quite a few folks slather their butts with mustard (that just sounds wrong) before applying a rub.

Question is, what kind of flavor does the mustard impart? How strong of a mustard flavor results after smoking? I like that it acts as a sort of adhesive, but not sure I want a strong "mustard" flavor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No mustard taste after it is cooked. I was leary the first time I did it but was a believer after that. It is more of an adhering agent than anything else!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Morgan:
Isn't Woos sauce meant to be for beef? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put it on both beef and pork...works fine for me!!

Like others I was hesitant about mustard. I don't like mustard. I don't put it on anything except fast food burgers.

Anyhow on my first butt cook I used it and couldn't tast it at all when I ate it. I haven't used it the past 2 or 3 cooks. I keep forgetting to buy it. Definately tastes the same to me.

Back