Easy...set it and forget it meal

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
I gotta say, for a quick, easy meal it is hard to beat legs-chicken legs.
How simple it is to start a 3/4 load of coals in a chimney. 15 minutes later dump them in a kettle. Sprinkle legs with rub-any will do. Cook indirect for 30 minutes. Done. Enjoy.
No tricks, no worries, nothing special required.
Have a drink and you're done.

I'm a breast guy myself. Wife and kids prefer the legs. Whenever I grill chicken pieces it's 3 or 4 bone in skin on breasts for me and 12 or 15 legs for them.
Don't eat them all at one meal but they're good leftover the next day, reheated or cold, or chopped for chicken salad.

Very close to what I do with turkey legs. Full chimney though, and about 45 minutes. Same ease, and makes for a little variety

Chicken parts are my favorite grill food.

I also do indirect and sauce every five minutes the last fifteen minutes. When I am in the mood for barbecued chicken, I use either Bullseye or Sweet Baby Rays sauce. If I am in the mood for a change, I use Larry Wolfe's Marmalade Sriracha Sauce - my all time favorite! It just doesn't get any better than that!

SrirachaChicken-1198_1600x1200.jpg

Dale53

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
I gotta say, for a quick, easy meal it is hard to beat legs-chicken legs.
How simple it is to start a 3/4 load of coals in a chimney. 15 minutes later dump them in a kettle. Sprinkle legs with rub-any will do. Cook indirect for 30 minutes. Done. Enjoy.
No tricks, no worries, nothing special required.
Have a drink and you're done. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm a old barbq man,but new to kettle grilling...just got a Performer.Do you leave vent wide open and do you turn them ?
I did have a second hand kettle about 25 years ago and turned out some good grilled stuff.

Yes-sir. Did a family pack of legs the other nite on the OTG. Seasoned with Cavender's and a small chunk of Alder. No sauce needed and ohh so good !

Tim

Glen;
I leave both vents wide open. I don't touch the chicken parts the first 35 minutes. Then I shove them closer to the fire (in a line across the grill, turn them and start saucing them. I try to sauce every five minutes (then cover)for a total of three times (either barbecue sauce or Orange Marmelade Sriracha Sauce). The idea is to bake layers of flavor on the chicken.

I believe in brining the chicken 30 minutes to an hour before patting them dry, applying a simple rub (salt, pepper, and cayenne) and grilling.

I got this recipe direct from Cook's Country and it is a WINNER!

Dale53

If you want to keep it simple...close the lid and leave all vents open.
It is not necessary to sauce but you certainly can. Also, it is optional to crisp directly over the coals.

I like to do the same thing but I like chicken thighs. No need to brine, as thighs tend to be a little fattier and therefore don't need the extra moisture. Dry rub, indirect & let 'em go for 1-1½ hrs. until they reach 175°, then sauce if desired. I do trim a little extra fat off of them if I have time. Still, thighs are just as easy as legs.

I'm a wingman myself. I like fried legs and fried thighs, but they tend to taste sort of bland to me off the grill. I mean, I can taste the rub and sauce and whatever, but the meat itself seems bland on those chicken legs, especially if its the big one that come in bulk.

Now, Cornish hen and turkey cooks up with a lot of flavor in the meat, but if I'm just doing chicken parts, I stick to wings (or B/S breasts for the Mrs.)

Wife likes the breast and wings..I prefer the thighs and wings. Since I started using the rib-o-lator for the wings, thighs and legs it took care of the bland taste. Very even cook and juicy! NO.. I don't work for rib-o-lator, just really like the product.
icon_razz.gif

Back