Easy New Years Brisket/Butt

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

God I love the WSM.
Yesterday I took a 8 1/2lb brisket (trimmed well), a 7 lb. Boston butt, applied rub to both and let 'em rest at room temp for an hour. In the meantime, I fired the smoker per the Minion method, using Kingsford and pecan chunks. Put on the meat (brisket on top), let the cooker come up to 250*, set the vents to 25% all the way around, and walked away.
Four hours later, I noticed the temp had wandered up to about 300*, so I closed two of the vents. Walked away again.
At 7 1/2 hrs., the brisket was at 195* so I took it off, wrapped it in foil and into the cooler. The butt got moved to the top grate. Temp stayed pegged at 250*, so walked away yet again.
At 11 hours, the butt was at 198*, so I wrapped it in foil, put it in the cooler, and pulled out the brisket. The brisket was pull apart tender, and I sliced it across the grain. Taste was awesome.
At twelve hours, I removed the butt from the cooler, and pulled it (it pretty much fell apart by itself). Wonderful taste and texture.
So there ya go. A twelve hour (+/-) cook in which the hardest thing that I did was load the smoker. Did I say that I love the WSM?
Heres a pic of the brisket, sorry I forgot to get a pic of the butt...
IMG_0009.jpg

Hey Mort. Awesome job on the brisket. Nice bark and smoke ring! I to just started cooking on WSM and cant believe how easy it is!
icon_cool.gif

Happy Que Year!

Windy City Smokers

Nice looking brisket Mort!
I did one over the weekend myself. I seperated the point and the flat and cooked them seperately. Point was marinated in a Stubbs beef marinade, and the falt was rubbed with my rub. Cooked over WG-WEW and Grove lump with oak and cherry chunks. Not sure I'll do it like that again. Seems like the flat got a little dry, but it was still tasty, and the point disappeared down at church New Year's eve.
I love cooking brisket on the WSM too!

Great looking brisket Mort!
I did one this past weekend too, and used part of the point to stuff my ABTs! Got the coals going right now for some Roadside Chicken, a stock pot is simmering the two carcasses from 2 grilled chickens; going to make some chicken noodle soup. Nothing finer than the WSM.

Back