Easter ham and turkey

Rod C

TVWBB Member
Going to be doing a ham and turkey for Easter. I have a 13# turkey that is injected with a 8% solution, planning on using Keri's turkey brine recipe. Do I need to cut back on the salt in the brine since salt is one of the ingredients in the injected solution, if so roughly how much. My mom's getting the ham so I'm not sure what she's getting probably either a semi or fully cooked one, any suggestions on this. I have a WSM and a kettle and right before I sent this note I opened up my new EZ cue rotissere, but I won't have time to try it out till Easter so I don't know if I want people at a family get together to be my crash test dummies on my first drive of my EZ cue, what do you all think. Thanks

Rodney,

Can say for sure, but for reference with the other responses you'll get, I did a couple of 3% turkey breasts over Thanksgiving using Keri's Apple Juice Turkey Brine recipe following Chris' Turkey Breast - Bone-In page and they were awesome. Here's a report on what I did.

You can brine. Personally I'd cut the salt back a bit--20-25% less tops--on an 8% bird. "Enhanced" birds don't usually pick up as much flavor from the brine as natural birds do. Remember to rinse it very well. And go with a no-salt (or very low-salt) rub if you're planning on using one. Have a great dinner.

I basically did the same thing for Thanksgiving when I was down in Missouri for vacation, Rodney. I had a HUGE ready-to-cook ham, about 21 lbs I think it was, and a 14 lb. self basted bird. I did not brine. Ham on top, bird on bottom. Brought internal temp of ham to 150, bird to about 165. Foiled and rested. DELICOUS. Got compliments all day on that cook. Man was I beaming!!

Big Al

I'm doing a ham on Saturday and a turkey on Sunday, but both on the rotis. Friday I'm making (my first ever attempt, btw) fresh Polish kielbasa, but we don't like it smoked, we simmer it....!

I went ahead and tried the EZ Cue out on the turkey today and it turned out great. Brined the turkey overnight and I cut back on the salt like suggested. Cooked it for 2.5 hrs. I'm not a big turkey eater but I went back for seconds on the turkey ( and a few other things ).

Back