E-435 Griddle insert vs stand alone griddle?

Joe C LI NY

Griddle insert vs Blackstone?

Last season I picked up a Genesis II E-435. Frankly I haven’t gotten to use it a TON, but I do love it. I’ll have to admit that I’m still an amateur BBQ’er.

My wife has asked me about Father’s Day gift ideas and I’ve been thinking of maybe adding a griddle...and later on a charcoal kettle and pellet smoker 😬

Now I’m not sure if I should add a griddle insert to my current E-435 or get a dedicated Blackstone griddle.

I wish there was an aftermarket griddle side mounted add-on for my E-435 like those that are available for many of the pellet smokers.

Pro of the griddle insert in the Weber is that it saves space and utilizes equipment that I already have.

Con with a griddle insert in the Weber is going back and forth between the stock grates and the griddle. Which seems like it may be annoying and cumbersome. Or, will I just leave the griddle insert in indefinitely???

So, what are everyone’s thoughts?
What griddle insert should I go with if I go that route?

Will a griddle insert or Blackstone get hit enough for a mean sear?

Griddle insert vs Blackstone?

Last season I picked up a Genesis II E-435. Frankly I haven’t gotten to use it a TON, but I do love it. I’ll have to admit that I’m still an amateur BBQ’er.

My wife has asked me about Father’s Day gift ideas and I’ve been thinking of maybe adding a griddle...and later on a charcoal kettle and pellet smoker 😬

Now I’m not sure if I should add a griddle insert to my current E-435 or get a dedicated Blackstone griddle.

I wish there was an aftermarket griddle side mounted add-on for my E-435 like those that are available for many of the pellet smokers.

Pro of the griddle insert in the Weber is that it saves space and utilizes equipment that I already have.

Con with a griddle insert in the Weber is going back and forth between the stock grates and the griddle. Which seems like it may be annoying and cumbersome. Or, will I just leave the griddle insert in indefinitely???

So, what are everyone’s thoughts?
What griddle insert should I go with if I go that route?

Will a griddle insert or Blackstone get hit enough for a mean sear?
A lot depends on the use case for the griddle, and room you have. There is a 3rd option of a griddle you just put on top of your grates. I got the dedicated one for my Q320 as my Q just did not have the BTUs to heat the cast iron grates and the additional cast iron griddle on top. I am thinking that your Genesis should be able to do it especially if you take off the flavorizers on the side you use the griddle. I wanted them super hot to do smash burgers. Plus mine was about $34 I think. You mention that you don't grill that frequently so I would think a dedicated griddle would be overkill.

A lot depends on the use case for the griddle, and room you have. There is a 3rd option of a griddle you just put on top of your grates. I got the dedicated one for my Q320 as my Q just did not have the BTUs to heat the cast iron grates and the additional cast iron griddle on top. I am thinking that your Genesis should be able to do it especially if you take off the flavorizers on the side you use the griddle. I wanted them super hot to do smash burgers. Plus mine was about $34 I think. You mention that you don't grill that frequently so I would think a dedicated griddle would be overkill.

Is there a griddle that lays on top that you’d recommend?

That’s the thing, I’d like this to get HOT so I can sear steaks and cook smash burgers on it

I too like Joe's A's recommendation of putting some Grill Grates from "GrillGrates.Com" on top of your grates.
What confuses me about the grill grates is that it is not flat and is basically another grate on top of the stock grates. I don’t really understand the purpose of them

Last edited:
My statement was not actually a recommendation, it was an option. I wrote "a 3rd option of a griddle you just put on top of your grates" I don't personally own a set of the grill grates myself, but there are many on this forum who do have them, love them, and prosthelytize about their virtues. The same company makes a ton of options. Ones that replace your current grates, ones that go on top, and ones that are reversible griddles with no holes. I tend not to buy too many grilling accessories that are good on only one model as I am open to change. Given that I have recently purchased a few for my Q320 as it has a special place in my heart and on my small porch.

What confuses me about the grill grates is that it is not flat and is basically another grate on top of the stock grates. I don’t really understand the purpose of them
I use them on my Weber Performer Deluxe(WPD) and Weber Smoky Joe which protects the meat from flare-ups. For example, I cook my chicken pieces directly on the Grill Grates which are on the WPD Grill Grate which is directly over the lit charcoal; thus, no need for grilling on the Indirect Side of the Grill which gets the "grub" to the table quicker.

Last edited:
I have a stand alone cast griddle that i use on mine and it gets plenty hot. I would go that route before buying a Blackstone just for smash burgers. You can always use the griddle for pancakes, eggs, fish etc. if you do not get hot enough.

I have a stand alone cast griddle that i use on mine and it gets plenty hot. I would go that route before buying a Blackstone just for smash burgers. You can always use the griddle for pancakes, eggs, fish etc. if you do not get hot enough.
May I ask which cast iron griddle you are using exactly?

I do not know the brand but got it at Costco several years ago. It is not the one on their site now, but that should work.
Says it is good only to 450 degrees. I would stay away from anything that is non-stick as they are not suitable for the high temps you grill at. I think I saw member here post good things about the Lodge Cast Iron one, but check out reviews on Amazon and let us know what you decide and how it works.

Says it is good only to 450 degrees. I would stay away from anything that is non-stick as they are not suitable for the high temps you grill at. I think I saw member here post good things about the Lodge Cast Iron one, but check out reviews on Amazon and let us know what you decide and how it works.
Yep, did not notice that. Mine is one sided and has a drip tray in front. No heat problems with it.

I bought a lodge cast iron grill that was small enough to run north south above the left, sear and middle burners of my 330. It sits on top of the grates so it's easy to add or remove. I don't have a way to measure surface temp above 500F but I'm sure it is well above that.

It was a recent purchase and I have only used it a couple of times.

Its 16.75 x 9.5 so not that big. I like that it leaves the other half of the grill avail.

edit: here is a link to the one I bought. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CMLTXG/?tag=tvwb-20

Here is my solution. There are just the two of us so I use a piece of 1/4” stainless and set it to one side of the grill right on the grates. That thing pretty much lives there and we can do our grilling on the other side. It gets plenty hot for smash burgers and searing steaks
I recommend at least 1/4” thick or it will lose heat quickly. You can probably find a local steel supplier and get one. CFF1152A-A8AA-42F9-B4A7-23C0F93A5C8E.jpeg

The other grill has a homade 1/2” thick griddle for serious searing or cooking a larger amount of food. It takes a long time to get up to temp, but once there, it stays there!B3E858EC-6C10-4DE6-AC40-0116E0DE4124.jpeg

Back