Durawood .... in the Dishwasher?

THyde

TVWBB Guru
I'm re-doing an old 1000 for some family friends, and it's got durawood slats. Has anybody run them through the dishwasher to .... clean them up?

I'm thinking of putting all the durawood through a cycle, in addition to the knobs and ignitor button.

Anybody tried this before?

If it were July I'd be happy to use the power washer, but since it is freaking freezing outside, and I typically get very wet when I use that thing, I'm going to try running them through a cycle in the dishwasher and see what happens.

By the way, I used a cup brush on the inside of the firebox earlier today, you guys who do that are PSYCHOS!!!!! The bristles started coming off about when I entered the ninth dimension due to the acupuncture effect they were having on me and before I knew it Thanksgiving already happened. Is it July now actually? Holy crap, I NEVER want to use a cup brush on the inside of a grill again.

Dan, I'm going to take a flight out west and dump a few buckets of ice on you.

Sadly, you won't care because you could just go outside and everything would be fine.

I really want to move to Texas.

I put six in the DW. We'll see how they look in a bit. I have six "spare" slats as the donor was a 2000 and I'm using the durawood on a genesis 3 with a side burner.

20211201_142730.jpg20211201_144029.jpg

OK, fine, I won't dump ice on anybody. I'm curious to see those durawood slats when they're done! I have to take them off the z brackets before I run mine. Probably tomorrow. It's cold out there.

I've power washed them, which works good. I have put them in the dishwasher also, not much difference in my opinion. I have also lightly sanded them which does actually make a difference. I do think soaking them in bleach or some other cleaner/ degreaser would work well followed up by a trip through the dishwasher. I also think clear coating them after you get them clean may be worthwhile.

I moved the one bent due to heat slat from the RH side to the LH side. The LH side slats are in worse shape than the others. It might have had more sun exposure.

I moved the one bent due to heat slat from the RH side to the LH side. The LH side slats are in worse shape than the others. It might have had more sun exposure.
You can straighten them with a heat gun and some trigger clamps. This is either end of the LH table on mine. It's caused by the heat from the LH side of the cookbox (note that they are bowed in the same area). Both of the end slats of mine were bowed. These are the "before" pics. They seem to take a "set", so you might have to do it more than once. My first go-round was done cautiously so I likely did not get them hot enough to remove the "memory" aspect.

Attachments

• 20211129_152616.jpg
    20211129_152616.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211129_152658.jpg
    20211129_152658.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Temps are in the mid-80s here in the south of California. Keeping the house closed up during the day to keep it cool.
I should report comments like these. Then again, Chris A would probably just laugh as he went outside without any special preparation, coat, hat or expectation of numbing painful cold.

These are a bit rough. They cleaned up fine but still don't look that good.

20211201_165933.jpg

Last edited:

Back