Durability at Coastal areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Does anyone know whether any of the weber grills will hold up particularly well around coastal areas where the saltwater and ocean spray exists? Historically, the charbroils have been used b/c they are cheap and it is believed nothing will hold up in this environment, so just plan on buying new grills every 18 months. However, I started wondering if any of the weber models would hold up. If a Charbroil can be purchased for $150 and a weber for $600, it might be hard to justify unless the weber can last 5-6 yrs minimum. Anyway, was hoping you folks could help.

I grew up on Long Island and my parents still live there a little less than a quarter mile from the great south bay. My Dad's Weber grills have lasted an average of 15 years and he replaces them sooner than needed (Cosmetic reasons, rather than them not working any more). He always kept his grills covered, so that may be a factor.

I'm not sure how far you are from the water, but I think as long as you have the grill covered it should last quite long.

I suspect keeping them covered helps a lot but that won't be practical in a condo with multiple users. Distance from the ocean is about 300 yrds, so that doesn't help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Davidd:
I suspect keeping them covered helps a lot but that won't be practical in a condo with multiple users. Distance from the ocean is about 300 yrds, so that doesn't help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Where are you David?

I had my 22" One Touch Gold about a mile inland on the east coast of Florida for five years before moving here to NM. At worst, there's a minor bit of surface corrosion on the struts to the legs, and those are readily available as replacement parts from Weber. The bowl and lid are perfect. I don't see what can go wrong with them unless you chip the porcelain. The original grates are going fine. The only thing that has happened is that the white Weber logo inserts to the wheels weakened in the sun and did not survive the move. It was always been kept outside, but with a Weber cover on it.

My Webers hold up great, and I'm 6 tenths of a mile from the beach. Metal rusts like crazy where I live, but the grills have held up very well.

On the other hand, I saw Lowes selling a basic 2 burner CharBroil grill for $79. SEVENTY-NINE BUCKS!!! It's hard to argue against buying one of those every 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back