Dumb Question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Okay, Okay. Just went down to pickup my new WSM and started to ask the guy about temp gauges. I thought the smoker had a hole in the dome where you put a regular gauge like my big offset(6 of them) has. Well I find out it doesn't. So how do y'all know what temp you're cooking at. I've read lots about the maverick remote gauges here, and they sell a ET-72 at the store. Needless to say I didn't get the smoker. Wanted to ask y'all first. Is the ET-72 any good.

Click on the Tips & Mods link at the top of the page and refer to the topics "Measuring Temperature" and "Mounting a Thermometer". Several techniques and solutions are discussed.

The Maverick ET-72 is a single probe version of the ET-73. I have seen it at Linens & Things for $39.99. I believe the online source most often mentioned in threads here sell the ET-73 for around $40.

Don't let the lack of a hole keep you from getting the WSM.

It's pretty easy to put a temp gauge in the WSM. I have never used a digital probe therm. I do use a meat therm, however after cooking for so many years one just knows when the meat is done. Having said that, it is fun to use new gadgets.

Chach

Go for the ET-73. The dual probes give you alot flexibility ... and for essentially the same price.

I removed one of the upper grate bolts and pass the probes through the hole. Then slip the ET-73 sending unit onto the lid ring, suspended by its wire clip, making sure not to let the lid catch it. Then position the probe wires to act like legs to keep the sending unit's body from touching the side of the WSM.

[Oh, I just gotta get me a digital camera to post some pics.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back