Dueling Breville Coffee Grinders

LMichaels

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
So been messing around with different grinders. I'd been pretty intrigued by the new KitchenAid grinder they brought out recently. I think I posted about it not long ago but forgot where :D
Anyway it's a REALLY nice grinder. So my grand idea was to have the KA be set up for various drip brew grinding depending on the beans used and profile I'd be after.
So, I had the Breville I'd been using and put it on my little coffee bar cart next to my Casabrews espresso machine. It's done a nice job in whatever duties I asked it to perform. Of course this had been the second one I'd got off EBay. The first one arrived smashed to bits due to bad packaging and even more horrible handling by USPS. Down to actually having stepped on the box leaving a boot print and hole where the boot print was. Anyway the people simply refunded my $$ so I bought the second one which I'd been using. But was not crazy about the brush stainless look on it. So not long ago I'd found a nearly brand new one on Ebay. Listed for parts. I got it because it's that black steel color. The seller noted it had been a gift, and while in warranty it died. He'd lost the gift receipt and Breville would not let him send it for repair/exchange. Basically control panel "lit up" and display did what it was supposed to do. But hit the start button and nothing. No voltage to the motor, so I swapped the panel from the junked machine. Got it swapped and it ran but lately horrible noises and stalling. So, disassembled it, took the gearbox apart on the junker and removed the motor which was still good. Also took everything apart a little cleaning, a new felt gasket, some good lube into the gears and such. It's running right along. So the brushed stainless one will be a spare. It's grinding a nice espresso for me.
20240731_183541.jpg20240731_183555.jpg20240731_183601.jpg20240731_183604.jpg

That is nearly the exact failure mode I'm struggling with on our Breville. Problem is that I just can't figure out to get down to the gearbox on it.

That is nearly the exact failure mode I'm struggling with on our Breville. Problem is that I just can't figure out to get down to the gearbox on it.
There are 4 screws small and quite recessed. I didn't know you were having that issue or I would have shot some photos. IDK what failure took place first or what caused what. My guess is that considering how badly the old motor was sparking and making horrid sounds, I think the excess current draw, likely took out the switching drivers on the circuit board. I guess I could take the old board apart and look at solder joints (likely the first point of failure) since changing the board got it running again
I'll try and take photos inside the machine that arrived damaged. showing where the 4 screws are. The top of the machine then comes off and under it 2 small screws hold the control panel on. Lifts up and out. Then 4 screws holding in the entire grinding assembly. I had to cut the motor wires. I stripped a small section and used those WAGO connectors they sell at Menards.

Ah..... I've been nearly that far in, but I tend to resist cutting wires.
Well unlike good ol' KitchenAid mixers Breville does not really build their appliances to be repaired. I'll get some photos a bit l8r today up if I can. For instance to replace the control panel I had to cut all the wires (no Molex plugs anywhere), so cutting the motor leads was not that traumatic anymore LOL. When I did the control panel I soldered and shrink wrapped every wire.

Jeff, This is not one of the machines I use. It's of the one I've stripped for parts like the motor and control panel because it arrived so banged up and broken. But it gets the point across. On some photos I've drawn arrows or things to be aware of. As on the top side of the unit. When you pull the grind sub assy. out, there are 4 little posts of which the grind assy. nestles down with rubber grommets. There are 4 washers (shims?) in there, that will stick to the rubber, fall off somewhere and make you scratch your head. I've also pointed out best I can the 4 small screw holes on the underside. There are lots of wires in the way of one hole, and as noted before. Breville does not make these to be repaired only tossed and replaced. Anyway browse away. Oh BTW, if you do take the motor out on the underside of the motor mount plate, there is a tiny VERY thin, washer/shim to keep one of the gears from hitting the underside of the plate. Another Gotcha I did not photograph. Hopefully I've given you enough to help you get to the "guts"

20240801_095238.jpg20240801_095254.jpg20240801_095312.jpg20240801_095346.jpg20240801_095351.jpg20240801_095418.jpg20240801_095607.jpgGrind Assy no Motor.jpgGrind Assy Orientation.jpgGrind Chamber Top 1.jpgGrind Chamber with motor.jpg

Back