duck

Nice setup Peter!

I'm not going to lie, to me it looks over-cooked.
It looked great on page one.:)

Back in my duck hunting days I grilled many a wild duck, but never a tame one.
I always took them to medium rare, but guess a tame duck should be cooked to about 165, like chicken.

Hmmm, maybe that was the problem with mine. This duck was kinda rubbery. I was going for 180F to be on a safe side.
I may try to foil it next time and see what happens.
Thank you for your input.
Peter

Gotta give you kudos for trying so many new things at once. Not to worry though, you'll hit 'er outta the park next time. Thanks for the post!

I agree with Bob; shoot for medium rare when cooking duck. I might suggesting pullling the duck just as the breast starts to firm up, then let it rest a good 15 mins. It will continue to cook. A nice fruit glaze works well with it as well. Don't give up; try again!

Paul

Peter, The gov. rec. is 165. My preference is closer to 150. You might also consider giving the duck a serious acupuncture session prior to putting it on the rotisserie. Take a needle and go over the entire bird just penetrating the skin and underlying fat. This will allow the fat to cook out a bit easier. You could also give it a nice hot bath as well. See here.
You'll just have to keep cooking them until your happy with the results!:rolleyes:

Peter, The gov. rec. is 165. My preference is closer to 150. You might also consider giving the duck a serious acupuncture session prior to putting it on the rotisserie. Take a needle and go over the entire bird just penetrating the skin and underlying fat. This will allow the fat to cook out a bit easier. You could also give it a nice hot bath as well. See here.
You'll just have to keep cooking them until your happy with the results!:rolleyes:

Thank you Marc and everyone.
I will try that next tome for sure.

Peter

I love to see folks being adventurous and trying new critters on the smoker or grill.

I've grilled duck on my kettle rotisserie, with good results. In the thread (below), I talk about getting the fat out so you get less blubber and more crispy skin. I used a paring knife to make several holes in the skin. Come at the duck from a very low angle, almost parallel to the skin. It's more like slicing than stabbing, and it avoids accidentally piercing through to the meat. You can also dunk the duck in boiling water, or pour the water over it, to render out some fat.

Now if only I can find one today that is not frozen.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?20147-Duck-on-Rotisserie-w-pics

DSC_0075-2.jpg

DSC_0078-1.jpg

Back