Duck again

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've never tried duck so I got a 5 lbr for my son and myself. I've searched all topics until I got tired of reading to find any kind of std method for doing a duck.
I'm going to do an improvised honey brine as it is only one bird. I have read to brine the duck anywhere from 24hrs to 3 days. Seems like quite a spread.
My son got a bag of Satsumas for Christmas and I had planned on stuffing the duck with these. Should I just quarter them and stuff them? Or do I peel, separate sections an add them like that?
I also read about dip, dip, dip, sticking with toothpicks, etc. to help render the fat out of the bird. Breast up or down? Yada yada yada.
I can do butt, brisket, poultry, fish and the like, but this ultra fatty quacker has me a little perplexed.
Any help please /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Bob
I just recieved a 70 pound package from Maple Leaf Farms of Indiana. They sent breast, legs and thighs and whole ducks. They recommend that you cut a series of slits a 1/4" apart in the skin to allow the fat render off during cooking.
Jim

Thanks Jim, mine's from the same place but does'nt mention slitting. The local Freddies also saw fit to place their sticker over the part about solution being added so I've now double dipped the thing. We'll see what happens.
And Jim, if you ever run out of freezer space, my dinky side x side has room for about 6 oz. /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif Who the hell invented these things??

1 chimney of lit, foiled pan, 4 hrs at 300 deg.
The duck was awsome. My son gave it 2 greasy thumbs up. I did the slit thing, top, bottom, sides, fore and aft. These things got some serious fat goin' on. I thought I would get more breast off it tho.
Done the duck, now show me the goose /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Chris, you can still own guns in MD? I thought you could only get them out west /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Neat thing about the frozen one I got was it came with an orange glaze sauce. Not the best but not bad. I would'nt let the frozen issue sway you.
Last night I took the leftover shreads and added them to a smoked turkey based sauce, let thicken and poured over pasta. Mm Mm good!
I'm really surprised more people have'nt tried to do the duck (or post about it).
Try it, you Will like it.

I don't have my bbq log handy, but I did a duck beneath my turkey for thanksgiving. After searching tips on this site, I cut slits in the breast and thigh fat, triple dipped in boiling water (1 cup honey added to water), let dry overnight in the fridge. Next day, brushed with 50-50 mix of soy sauce and honey and sprinkled on generous amount of 5 spice powder. Q'd beneath my turkey at 325-350 (lid temp) with foil lined empty pan, one chunk of apple. It took 2-1/2 hours to reach 175 in the thigh. Very delicious, but still very fatty.

P.S. Although not BBQ, an excellent duck recipe and cooking technique is Alton Brown's "Mighty Duck." I have made it several times and it is a family favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back