Dry pork shoulders

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm going to BBQ my third pork butt and need a little advice. The first 2 I cooked to 185 - 190 degrees and let rest at least an hour before pulling. The flavor was great but they were both on the dry side. I'm using calibrated remote thermometers so I'm pretty sure the temp. was always between 225 and 250 degrees. I don't think it matters but the outside temp. has always been below freezing. I was thinking of cooking the next one to about 170 - 175 degrees. Any other ideas.

Every time I turn the meat I baste it. I do that when half way done, and after at each half way point as the site suggests. I was under the impression that basting doesn't make much difference as far as how dry the meat is and is more of a way to add flavor to the bark.

I haven't done this long enough to offer advice, but just tell you what I experienced on my first Butt cook last night. I cooked two butts, one on the top, one on the bottom. I trimmed them pretty well. I basted the top one at the 4 hour mark. At the 11.5 hour mark the temp of the top butt was 209. (I forgot to set the Maverick Alarm on). I pulled both off, foiled them for about an hour. They both were very moist and pulled easily. I think the bottom one was more moist than the top.

Maybe the fat content of yours was low? Just a thought.

Sounds like you are doing everything right.
Cooker and meat temps are good. Unless you
want to slice the meat, you're going to want
to take the meat to an internal of 190-195.
I use a dry rub and usually don't baste much
if at all and they always turn out good.
Perhaps it is the cut (less fat) of the meat???

Steve,

I onced purchased a neatly packaged, trimmed and tied butt at the grocery store.

By "trimmed" I mean, there was hardly any fat on the outside.

This butt turned out dry, despite following standard cooking procedures and removing from the cooker at 185 degrees.

This never happened prior to, or since then.

Maybe your butt wasn't fat enough /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

-Albert

The only time I had a problem with dried shoulder butt was when I purchased a "whole picnic shoulder roast" (may have the name slightly wrong). It did not have skin on it. The final product had almost all the lighter colored meat rather than the usual mixture with a boston butt. The meat was also a little dry ?

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back