Dry Brisket

Brady

I completed my first overnight brisket cook Friday night and was a little surprised that the meat turned out fairly dry. The brisket I cooked was a 10.25lb choice packer. I trimmed some fat as I normally do leaving ~1/4" of cap.

My question is could any of the following factors have contributed to the brisket being dry?

1. Rub - Was a mixture of kosher salt, coarse pepper, onion powder, and garlic. The salt ratio was pretty high, probably in the 30 to 40% range.

2. Meat had been in the freezer for ~2 months - It did not appear or smell freezer burnt however, i normally do not leave meat frozen this long.

3. Possible temperature spike - I started the fire at 10:00 pm (minion method), let the smoker come up to temp, and put the meat on at ~11:00pm. Temp was a steady 250 lid each time I checked it through 2:00am. After that, I went to sleep and did not check again until 8:00 am at which time, the cooker temp was at 230 lid. I then checked the meat temp and was surprised that it was already at 198. I then pulled it and did a foil / cooler hold until 4:00pm at which time the meat was registering 150. Since there is a 6 hour period of no monitoring, I am a little concerned that the temp may have spiked during the night. The wind was calm and at 8:00am, the remaining fuel level was high (smoker continued to run until 5:00pm).

My best guess is that a combination of #1 and #2 created the dry brisket, any guidance from the group is always appreciated.

I had a 14# brisket and the flat was drier than it supposed to be but it was my error. I spread mustard and TEX Rub on it and put it back in the cry-o vac while I started my fire. When ready I just removed it from the sack and put it on the rack without checking it. I put it on with the fat side down so the fat did not penetrate the meat. The point was moist and tender but the flat was drier but not tough.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brady:
I completed my first overnight brisket cook Friday night and was a little surprised that the meat turned out fairly dry.

I then checked the meat temp and was surprised that it was already at 198.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Brady, Taking a brisket to 198 IMO is way too high and probably what caused the brisket to be dry. Remember also that after you pull the meat off the temp continues to rise about 5 degrees. When doing briskets I pull them off in the 182- 185 range, wrap in foil and let rest for 2-4 hrs in a cooler.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vernon Ewing:
I put it on with the fat side down so the fat did not penetrate the meat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Vernon, That is a myth, cooking with the fat cap up that when the fat renders down that it goes through the meat. That's not possible if you think about it. As dense as beef is there's no way that the melted fat is going to penetrate the meat. On the other hand cooking with the fat cap down towards the fire is said to protect the brisket from drying out. It protects the meat from all the heat coming up. I cook my briskets fat side down and get good results.
When cooking a packer the flat gets done before the point so my guess is that the flat was a little overcooked if the point was done.

Thanks Bryan. I typically don't have hold times as long as I did on this cook, and it appears I failed to consider how much the residual heat would impact the meat. I'll try pulling in the 185 range next.

Even with the meat a bit dry, the point made really good chopped sandwiches and I can use the flat in a few recipes I have.

Back