Dry Brisket?

Tom Murtiashaw

TVWBB Member
Attempted my third brisket on the WSM during smoke day and though it has a great smoke ring a lots of flavor, it's a little on the dry side. About a 5 lb cut with a nice fat cap but it took 13 hours to reach 190 internal temp. Hit a 175 degree plateau 7 or 8 hours into the cook, then dropped back to 168 internally and remained there several hours before climbing again, and only after the WSM internal temp rose from 200 to 225. Any suggestions for the future, perhaps wrapping when it hits a plateau and let it finish the cook in foil to prevent drying, etc. P.S. Everthing else for the day turned out great, 2 BBs, half a turkey breast and 6 baked potatoes. I was tending the smoker for 18 hours, with short naps from time to time, and of course the clothes I was wearing now have a smoke ring...thanks.

If only brisket was as easy as butt. I am not an expert on brisket but I do have two thoughts. One would be to pull a little earlier-about 185 and/or try foil to see if you like that texture better.
On my last cook, I put the brisket in foil for about two hours then finished out of foil. The experts may think that method is not the best. They may even laugh at the thought of putting apple jelly and a little sauce in the foil but my wife like the touch of sweetness....

Tom I usually cook at 220-245. 200 seems low...

Tom, There is something about foil. I have tried butts, ribs, brisket, and if I foil to finish any of them, they seem to always be mist. However, brisket is difficult to determine. However, the secret (which I don't know) is in knowing when exactly to foil, or at which temp is best to maximize the smoke flavor and foil enough to create the right texture. The briskets I cooked for Smoke Day turned out well, did not foil until I removed them, but they rose to 193 intnernal temps when I removed and put in foil to rest for 1 hour. Cooked at 240 to 250 all night. To maintain those tight temp windows, had to stay pretty close to it all night - I understand the smoke ring in the clothes you mentioned!

Hi,
I have done the following with repeated success to insure moist briskets. I cook fat side down at 225°-235°, foil at 165°-170° with a little liquid, (beef broth,red wine, Dr. Pepper etc.) then back on the smoker 'till 190°-192°.

Then the most important part, I think, is a 2-4 hour rest wrapped in several towels, fat side up, in a pre-warmed dry cooler. When ready to serve, unwrap and let the meat sit for a few minutes before slicing.

Sounds like alot of steps, but it results in moist meat every time. Try it, you will be a believer.

Al

I had a similar experience this weekend. The brisket hit 172 after 8 hours, then started to drop. Since I was running out of time, I foiled and put it in a 300 degree oven for about an hour or so and got it up to 195. I then put it in a prewarmed cooler for an hour and sliced. It had good smoke flaver and was appropriately moist.

About a 5 lb cut with a nice fat cap but it took 13 hours to reach 190 internal temp. Hit a 175 degree plateau 7 or 8 hours into the cook, then dropped back to 168 internally and remained there several hours before climbing again

Al, are you saying you foiled it at 165 and kept it foiled until the end at 190? Or did you take the foil off sooner?

I foil a flat when it breaks plateau usually in the high 160's. Stays in foil until the end. I too, try to pull around 185 if fork tender for the dry cooler rest.

Sometimes with briskets, they are fork tender at 185, sometimes 195. Depends on the cut.

Flats are tricky, and I've had some that just came out dry no matter what, because it was just a lousy cut of meat.

Probably bought select and didn't realize it. Sam's this week has choice flats in Tampa.

I have had quite a few dry briskets. Early on the first few times I cooked brisket I would sometimes throw on a pork butt also. Family likes pork better than beef. When I would put the butt over the brisket and the fat side down on the rack. I had a superb results as far as I was concerned. Now days I wont do brisket without a butt over top basting it. I foil with fat side up for several hours of rest. I cook at 250.

I have tried putting bacon on top of the brisket. It might have produced better results if I had put new on a couple of times through the cook. I never got around to trying that. I just do the BOB now and like the results.

Tom
Here are a couple of ideas, first the brisket was it a select or choice cut? Choice is a better brisket to start with.

Second what is your pit temps, if I read right it sounds like you were in the 200 degree range. I would be cooking fat side down in the 235 to 250 range unless I was cooking an American Kobe brisket which I would then cook at 190 to 200 pit temp.

Third I personely don't wrap a brisket once it hit the stall, at 160 internal a brisket is just going into the phase of the cook where connective tissue is breaking down and I do not look to rush it. Once in the 160 to 275 plus range you can see periods where the internal temp can drop a degree or two because there are enough cells breaking down releasing moisture to cause this effect.

Fourth a 5 pound flat is not the best choice for what we normally do, a full packers cut 8 to 13 pounds with a good point is a better brisket to start with.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis D:
Al, are you saying you foiled it at 165 and kept it foiled until the end at 190? Or did you take the foil off sooner? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dennis,
You got it right. Foil stays on.

Al

Regardless of the cooking method, I think the rest in foil is most important. Having rushed and not foiled, a flat came out tasty but a little dry. The last packer rested rested for 4 hours and soaked uo all the added liquid.

The last step may be most important. REST !

Jim, I am curious about your comment on the 5lb brisket. I called my local butcher and order a prime cut of brisket; however, they only have them in the 4 - 5 lb range. They said that's all they can get. I was planning on cooking this about the 1 to 1 1/2 hour per pound as an estimate and target the 188 - 190 internal temp. What are my special issues/risks with the smaller briskets? Thanks!

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Tom
Here are a couple of ideas, first the brisket was it a select or choice cut? Choice is a better brisket to start with.

Second what is your pit temps, if I read right it sounds like you were in the 200 degree range. I would be cooking fat side down in the 235 to 250 range unless I was cooking an American Kobe brisket which I would then cook at 190 to 200 pit temp.

Third I personely don't wrap a brisket once it hit the stall, at 160 internal a brisket is just going into the phase of the cook where connective tissue is breaking down and I do not look to rush it. Once in the 160 to 275 plus range you can see periods where the internal temp can drop a degree or two because there are enough cells breaking down releasing moisture to cause this effect.

Fourth a 5 pound flat is not the best choice for what we normally do, a full packers cut 8 to 13 pounds with a good point is a better brisket to start with.
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back