Dry Brisket

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Hey all!
I'm new to the boards here and been trying my hand at smoking butts, ribs and the like only a few months.

Everything turns out great but the brisket. Good taste and all - but *DRY*!!

I generally put the rub on the meat the night before and let it sit in the fridge. Early the next morning, I bring it out to come up to room temperature.

My GREAT Weber bullet smoker comes right up to 225-250 and I can get it to sit right there.

I use a meat thermometer and smoke the brisket till 190 degrees.

Still, it's dry as a desert.

*HELP*!!

In my experience with brisket, I find the extra money spent on a USDA choice over a select helps quite a bit. Not to say a "nicer" select can't be marbled as well as a "marginal" choice, but that's what gets you a moister result. Most folks who do a lot of brisket go more by feel (toothpick or fork test; the legendary "waba-waba") than actual final temp-- a higher-quality brisket may be done at, say, 185°. Make sure, as well, you're not cooking at too low a temp-- is that 225-250 measured at the grate or at the dome?

I use a (weber) stem thermometer set into one of the top vent holes. I guess it's measuring the temp right there 4 inches beneath the dome.

My reason for asking is that sometimes people figure if low & slow is good, then lower & slower is better-- not necessarily so, and can result in a dried out product. Average temp measurements in the WSM most often see the lid (or "dome") temp higher than the top grate, and the lower grate even cooler than both the other spots.

Are you giving your briskets a good rest, wrapped up in double HD foil in a dry cooler for 1-2 hours, before slicing?

Are you giving your briskets a good rest, wrapped up in double HD foil in a dry cooler for 1-2 hours, before slicing?

Hmmmm, no.
Wrapping after it hits the target temp?

Well, you could pull it a little early and residual heat would bring it up the last few degrees. But, as I said earlier, learning to judge brisket doneness by feel rather than strictly by temp will go a long way towards perfecting your results. Until then, I would recommend trying cooking fat-side down, going for a target temp a few degrees below what you want for a final, wrapping in HD foil with a ¼ to a ½ cup of broth added, and rest fat-side up buried in some towels in a dry cooler for at least an hour.

Hey Jimmy

I cheat so to speak .After many a dry brisket i gave up on chasing the dream so to speak.I wrap in foil when it hits 165 and add 1/2-1cup of beef broth .Then wait for it to climb to the 190's before pulling it off to rest for a hour in a cooler.My brisket are pretty consistent now .I'm not so dependant on the cut anymore.

Good Luck
jeff

Back