Drunken Beans (Frijoles Borrachos)

Never saw your question, Dennis, sorry.

Negra Modelo - but I've been known to use whatever is at hand, including light beer and 'lite' beer.

made these tonight - very good, unexpected flavor. I used a lev double bock beer, pickled jalapenos....bacon, no andoille.

Kevin, I wanted to run a plan by you and get your thoughts. I'll be making these for a group of 15-20 at a cabin in the woods this weekend. They have a regular stove but not much in the way of pots and pans. I'd also like to limit the amount of cooking I actually have to do when I'm up there. My plan is to start a day ahead at home and cook the beans through the beer step, then transfer to a large disposable baking dish (hopefully the amount of liquid won't be a problem) and refrigerate. Separately I'm planning to cook the bacon and tomato/chili mixture. On the day of the party I'll reheat the beans in a 375 degree oven (I'm thinking about an hour but not sure) and add the bacon and tomato/chili mixture for the last 15-20 minutes. Thoughts?

I think that will work just fine - but you can cook all the way through the end if you wish, reheating the whole thing at the cabin.

Here is a somewhat different idea for storage/transport: Make the beans completely or through the beer step, as you note; our choice. Instead of putting them in a pan (which can slosh about), remove the beans and their liquid from the pot and divide among sheetpans and/or roasting pans to cool on the counter completely. (Dividing up the mixture allows it to be rather shallow in the pans, speeding cooling.)

Once cooled pour the beans and their liquid into a few gallon-sized Ziplocs, close securely and stick in the fridge. Bring to the cabin in your cooler. Bring a foil pan and foil as well.

Reheat the beans as you plan. 375 should work fine. Cover from the outset. Stir the first time after about 25 min, recovering, then stir about every 10 min thereafter - just a brief stir is enough - recovering each time till hot. If you decided to add the tomato mixture at the cabin, stir it into the beans when you stir the second time (about 35 minutes in).

If you make the tomato mixture ahead and carry it to the cabin separately (you can do the same cooling-Ziploc thing as you did with the beans), reheat the mixture in a pot on top of the stove (if there is a pot available) till hot, then stir into the beans at the time noted. If you make then tomato mixture at the cabin, get it going after you get the beans in the oven. When done, simply stir into the beans, recover, and allow 15 min or so to pass before checking and/or stirring again.

Bring something (if not available there) to mash some of the beans with. It adds great texture to the overall finish of the dish. You can either mash some right in the pan, or you can remove a few cups to the pan you made or reheated the tomato mixture in, then mash with a potato masher, the back of a large spoon, a fork, whatever. Stir them back into the rest of the beans; serve with your choice of topping on the side.

Enjoy the beans and your cabin!

[I am really missing SF. Hope to get there in the next few months.]

Reminded/inspired by your post (I have not made these in a while) I ran to the store and got beer and cilantro, two things I didn't have on hand, and made these today. I used the 2 strips bacon/1 5- to 6-inch piece hot sausage option.

Over tomato-guajillo rice, with queso fresco-stuffed arepas:

IMG_0107.jpg

Going to give these a try. Like the sounds of the rice too. I assume the rice is simply made as you would Spanish or Mexican style? I'll have to figure out the arepas. Your old post about how to make arepas is no longer valid, get a lookup error. As I recall they aren't all that difficult.

Yes, essentially a 'Spanish' rice - but made with the addition of guajillo flakes.

Get yourself some harina pan (it is not the same as harina de maiz for corn tortillas). <span class="ev_code_RED">Just got an email from The Latin Products. Good until 5/5, get 18% off using Coupon Code CINCO2012.</span>

Put 1.5 c hot water in a bowl (or use the equivalent of chicken or meat stock - I used chicken here - or a milk-stock blend). Slowly pour in 1 c harina pan while whisking with a fork. When the liquid is well incorporated it will be quite soft. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, set your oven to 350? and heat a large, lightly greased sauté pan over medium heat.

Form the dough into patties about 3-3.5 inches in diameter, .5-inch or slightly less thick. Place into the hot sauté pan as you form them (you'll get about 5 out of this dough amount). After a couple minutes shake the pan to help the bottoms get a little browned and crusty. After a few more minutes, check the bottoms for color and crispness. Flip all the arepas and place the pan in the preheated oven.

Bake 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and remove the arepas to a wire rack. If using immediately, allow to cool slightly then halve horizontally, either cutting through completely or almost all the way, so top and bottom are still attached to each other. Either fill and serve or, if you prefer a drier interior, return to the oven for a few minutes (feel free to turn the oven off).

Alternatively, allow the arepas to cool. When needed, heat your oven to 350?, halve as noted above, fill, then place on a sheetpan and place in the oven to heat. (You can also leave the arepas at room temp, halve, and fill will hot or warm beans or meats, or cold meats, cheese, vegs, whatever.

Kevin, everyone enjoyed the beans. I stayed on the low range for the serranos and the heat level was barely noticeable. Good for a crowd but next time I make them at home I'll increase the heat. Thanks for the recipe.

Posted June 15, 2012 07:24 AM Hide Post
These came out really nice. I had about a 2 lb point that was available from a previous cook (Kevin's coffee based rub). I set the bean cook aside overnight (after we had some for dinner) then cubed and made up the point meat added some red jalapeno, and a couple serranos (all of which had seed membrane removed) and set that mix aside. I took 4 dried anchos, simmered then removed seeds then chopped and pureed.

Once the point meat was done - browned to burnt end style I added the bean recipe and then the hot pepper mix and ancho paste to taste.

This all went into a #5 cast iron oval and cooked slow while I was working.

I'm not a fan typically of chilly that has tomato and beans in it. I prefer Texas red style or the like. Thing is the other folks around me are the opposite.

This was a great recipe for tomato/bean style beef chilly.

Served with layering of some jalapeno, chopped tomato, scallion, sour cream, cilantro sides. Was excellent.

It really complimented the rub that was used on the brisket cook.

So many of Kevin's recipes fit in and work in a lot of different ways and subtle modifications.

And I didn't even add arepas yet. I'll be making some up to have with the left over chilly.

Thanks.

Kevin, would you use the same/similar approach for making beans (i.e. Santa Maria style) to go with tri tip? I ran a number of searches within the forum but didn't pull up a discussion on it. If you see this and have time, any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Eric

:eek: I read the original post again and it seems to answer my question - yes, this works well with tri-tip.

Last edited:

Back