drums and thighs

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I just put some dark meat pieces on for a Sunday afternoon family gathering. On half I used Bad Byron's rub and the other half I dusted with Tang and a homemade concoction which is probably fairly routine (paprika, salt, sugar, etc). I also made some Shiner Bock glaze and a BBQ Sauce I'll use half on each for four different variations on a theme to see who likes what best. I used a wooden skewer to remind me which is which.

IMG_0693.jpg

My family likes a crispier skin than slow smoking provides so I removed the grill, the mid section, and place the grill on direct heat.

IMG_0695.jpg

This is the finished product with Tang and homemade rub and the Shiner Bock glaze:

IMG_0696.jpg

...and this is the Bad Byron's and a homemade BBQ sauce we call "Hank's" which is a friend of mine who the recipe is based on:

IMG_0697.jpg

We served it up with the wife's mac 'n' cheese, Cock of the Walk slaw, and various condiments

IMG_0698.jpg

Pretty chicken. The Tang is a little unusual, but I like the sound of the Shiner Bock glaze. I wouldn't mind glazing my insides with some, but it's kind of hard to find up here.

Back