Drumettes for the Big XII Championship

Darrin M

TVWBB Member
This weekend, besides Buffalo Burgers on the grill (it's OU vs Colorado), I'm going to do some smoked chicken wings. I LOVE the drumettes from Wal Mart, so I bought 4-4lb bags and have them thawing. I think I'll brine 'em Saturday morning early and put on the smoker without seasoning.

When done, half of them will get a toss with Frank's Red Hot Wing Sauce and half with my new wing favorite, A1 Chicago Flavor Marinade. I highly suggest it for your wings. It is a really cool and tangy choice.

I will probably hold back a few to toss with some Sudden Death sauce for the ones who come in saying, "Oh, the hotter the better. You can't make wings too hot for me!"
icon_biggrin.gif

Should be a good time. I'll try to get some pictures up.

Darrin,
I have tried the A1 Chicago marinade as well and agree, it's good stuff. Haven't tried it on wings yet, but I may give it a try now!! You gotta digicam, for the WOOW! when the "Macho" guys bite into the Sudden Death sauce??? Would love to see some pics!

Darrin- PLEASE report on the Sudden Death wings! Be careful with the big guys (heart conditions
icon_eek.gif
)!

I've been using Franks sauce and butter with a dash of Dave's Insanity for a few years now (on my kettle). I'll have to give the WSM a go next time. I'm guessing apple or cherry would be a good smoke wood to use?

I've done them a couple of times already without brining, so I thought I'd try it this time. Maybe for like, an hour or so. And, I'll try not to overcook them. Previously, even the overcooked ones were devoured immediately.

I'm going to use Apple pellets on this one.

I'll definitely have the camera out for the AHHHH factor. hehe

Tomorrow when I start them, I'll take some pictures. Right now, they're thawing in the fridge.

The Chicago marinade is awesome on wings. It doesn't take much, just a enough to give them a thin coat when tossed.

Got some pictures up.

The night went great. About 15 1/2 of the 16 pounds of wings were eaten. I didn't get a good AHHH picture because I ate one of the hot ones first. It was freaking hot. HOT! It sat on your mouth for about 30 minutes.

The buffalo burgers came out great, too.

And, OU won 42-3. Orange Bowl, BABY!

Once again, I love this site and I'm glad it was shown to me.

For something different try injecting with something like a cajun recipe and then toss with Franks or hotter.
Jim

Darrin

Nice pictures. I'm curious. How long did the wings take and what was the temperature?

Griff

I may try the injecting next time. That sounds good.

The brine was for 1 1/2 hours. They weren't salty at all, so that worked about right.

For the cooking, I let the smoke get going, then put them on for about 3 hours at 2-225. I kept the remote thermometer with me to keep a watch on the temps. They came out just right, no overcook.

The smoker baskets that I picked up for the almonds worked like a charm for this. Afterwards, I stuck the racks and baskets in the dishwasher. No problem at all.

Darren,

Thanks for the post and pics. Seeing your final results have motivated me to give wings a shot. Nice work.

Brandon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy Rine:
Do I know you from somewhere? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, not sure. Let's see:

BOOMER!

At Walmart- -what brand are these wings?

Additionally, where's a good place to get that hot sauce. Those look incredible!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wade G:
At Walmart- -what brand are these wings?

Additionally, where's a good place to get that hot sauce. Those look incredible! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks!

Believe it or not, the wings are Great Value brand. But, they are really good. "Great" even. Hence the name. hehe

I usually have to get the Frank's pre-made wing sauce at Albertson's, but occasionally Wal Mart has it. I really can't remember where I got the Sudden Death sauce. Seems like it was at Bass Pro Shops or something. I bet one of the BBQ sponsor links would have it.

I've only tried the Chicago and Classic A1 sauces. The classic tastes like A1 steak sauce, to me. I'll give the New Orleans a try.

And, it IS you, 1807!
lwm.gif

Those wings certainly look good. One question ... what is the texture of the skin on the finished wings? I'm assuming that it is not real crispy since you are cooking at a low temperature. I wonder if cooking at a higher temperature (300 - 350) would help crisp the skin. The cooking time would obviously be reduced. Thanks.

An alternative would be to pull the wings and toss 'em on the regular grill for a few (15?) minutes at a fairly high heat to crisp up the skin just before serving.

Could probably use that as a way to cook ahead of time and reheat when it's serving time, too...

Jarrod

Here's a previous discussion on wings. Mine weren't quite what I was looking for texture/crispness wise. Not that you can't do it expertly on the WSM, I didn't pay attention to the TV episode closely enough. His fire was way hotter and more direct.

Back