Drove home to this fire

Yeah, I was watching this one closely. The plume was blowing north east. I'm northwest about 2 1/2 miles. edit: 3 1/2 miles measured with gmaps

A couple of heavy tankers dropped retardant earlier and they flew right over my house on the way in.

Looks like they have this one handled.

These whirlybirds just flew over us around 10 minutes ago. They’re at the fire a little up the hill from us.

1723083662784.png

1723083715218.png

two weeks ago some bozo tossed a cigarette into the median about 1/3 mile from my house.

Driving by I saw smoke smoldering and stopped, but couldn't put it out completely. I had a half of a water bottle and was wearing flip flops. I could see that it was smoldering down into dry roots and the landscape bark was still smoldering too.

Part of me wanted to grab a shovel and a bucket of water and handle it, but I decided to call the Fire dept and let them take care of it. They dug it out before dousing it and the roots were smoldering 4 to 6 inches down.

20240721_175005.jpg

Rarely do people who don't live in those conditions really understand just how dry the fuel really is. If I had to hazard a guess, whoever flung the butt doesn't live in the West.

@DanHoo , as far as calling the fire department..... good call, IMO. If nothing else, it's a good exercise in response time.

Back