Dr. BBQ Clinic w/pics

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
Hello All,
I attended a free, bbq clinic at the local BBQ store here in Redlands, CA. over the weekend. http://www.thebackyardoutfitters.com
It was hosted by DR. BBQ himself, Ray lampe http://www.drbbq.com
I took 133 photos, Dr. BBQ didn't seem to mind. A few other people had cameras too. The food was great. We had chicken wings, baby back ribs, ceder plank salmon, and some tri-tip. The baby back ribs were the best. He used 2 parts hickory wood to 1 part cherry wood for the smoke. He prefered wood chips and lump charcoal for the greenegg. I was able to ask a lot of questions. He was a nice, funny guy. The one thing that I learn from this clinic, I liked how he poured honey over the ribs, and then foiled them, and then back on the smoker for another hr. They were tender, the right about of chew, full of flavor. Hope you enjoy the pics. What do you think?

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=2AZMnDhk1ZMWEG

Awesome!

Just out of curiosity, how much honey did he put on top? Like, just a thin glaze or more? I'm think i'm going to try it. He didn't sauce them at all after he put the honey on?

Michael,

Looks like it was a good time!

I did the real deal bbq class last January. Ray is quite entertaining & informative. At the time of the class the thing to do was add peach preserve to the foil pack. Adds a nice subtle flavor. Good stuff.

Enjoyed the pics.

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

Man, I sure wish I could share the rest of the photos that I took. It would take a long time to upload those to Shutterfly.com. For the Honey question, he dribbled it on to the ribs in an 'S" manner, if that make sense. He mopped the ribs just before serving with BBQ sauce. One thing that he did that I thought was cool, on another rack of ribs, the ones that are skewerd into a circle, he pour some apple juice in a pan, and then put the pan, with the ribs in it, back on to the smoker. He seems to know how to make some very good ribs....

Looks like a very informative class. Was that Chris Lily of Big Bob Gibson's BBQ in one of those pictures?
I've never seen so many ribs on an egg before. I guess you can just pile them in.

Ray Lampe is a great guy. I had the chance to meet him, twice, earlier this year in Wilmette IL. He never seems to mind questions. It was kinda funny. A lady asked him how he gets great pulled pork on a gas grill. After the typical questions of what kind of grill she had, Ray started to explain how to set up the grill, then mix different spices, rub the pork butt, etc. After he was half way thru the explanaton the woman shook her head and said, "That's too much work!" and walked away.

It was one of those funny you had to be there moments. Ray didn't lose his cool, he just smiled and answered another question.

Yes, that was Chris Lilly from Big Bob's Gibson BBQ. When he showed up, him and Ray spent 1/2 hr sharing with us some very, funny stories between the two. Sounds like they get along very well. It sure was a fun day there. Eating good food, and smelling the smoke.

Back