Doug's Smoked Mushroom Dip

I read this the other day and thought "meh, that could be good..."
I had a rib roast on the WSM for Christmas dinner, and decided to throw on the mushrooms. I let them go an hour, which is too long at 350, but they were still chewy. I chopped them up well and made the dip, minus pine nuts. Just can't find them in Japan this time of year.
WOW, that dip was good! My wife hid the leftover dip in the fridge, and wouldn't tell me which tupperware she put it in! I've never seen my wife hide food before!
I'll definitely make this again.

I don't use the pine nuts any more. They only brought a textural quality whose benefits were minor. I originally used them just because they were on the list of ingredients of the dip I cloned. I also noticed in re-reading the thread that I had not mentioned I reserve and add any juices from the mushroom smoking process to the dip. Glad you liked it.

Well, this dip is pretty **** amazing. I made three batches of mushrooms for it - my pan is a little smaller then specified but 8 oz. just wan't enough. I also used regular Philly cream cheese instead of whipped - just mixed in blender. Definitely better the longer it sits - hits the sweet spot around 5-6 hours. I also found cutting the shrooms thick - say 3-4 slices per decent sized grocery story shroom did well. First batch, I think I cooked to long and cut to thin, same for the second. But third set was money - thick cut, peppered lightly, decent amount of butter and 1 hour of cook time. I used my performer to smoke - first time and my god that thing needs a lot of baby sitting!

Thanks for the wicked dip! Everyone loved it, even a person who HATES mushrooms loved the dip!

This dip is the absolute BEST DIP i have ever had. I've smoked mushrooms for it a dozen times by now. Everyone always loves it...amazing doug!!

Thanks for posting this recipe!! It has been a hit in our household and my wife and 7 year old love it. My wife suggested making the dip with smoked salmon in place of the mushrooms. So i fired up the smoker and slapped the salmon on and let the smoker do its magic.. Once again the dip came out great. I also wanted to add that I toasted the pine nuts, which in my opinion, brought out the flavor of the pine nuts even more. I am a fan of this dip and will be taking both the salmon dip and the mushroom dip to a get together tonight with some friends. Can't wait!! Thanks again!!

Brian

I made this dip today.....followed the recipe exactly sans the pine nuts as Doug D posted that he has stopped using them. My wife and mother enjoyed the dip. I had printed out the recipe for easier viewing and I noticed that my wife now has the recipe on the refrigerator with a magnet so that it didn't get pitched......that means it's a keeper. Thank you Doug D.

Petro, I'm surprised you haven't tried it before now. It truly was a stroke of chance that I was able to reverse-engineer this dip so successfully on the first try. Friends and family here continue to request and enjoy it almost every holiday gathering.

I have also tried it substituting smoked salmon from Sam's Club, and it works, as well.

Doug D...I like salmon dips as well. I have a question.....I could probably figure out quickly on my own, but since you are handy....qty salmon...8oz?

Sounds like a good amount to start. If too little, you can add more; if too much there should be cream cheese and sour cream left to add more.

Tried it this weekend - really good. The store I went to did not have 12oz whipped Philly, just 8oz. Went with that and I thought it was great. I didn't read past the first couple of posts until now. Next time I'll leave the pine nuts out as well - I like them but they didn't do anything for me here. I'll also try thicker mushroom slices and less salt.

Originally posted by Doug D:
I don't use the pine nuts any more. They only brought a textural quality whose benefits were minor. I originally used them just because they were on the list of ingredients of the dip I cloned. I also noticed in re-reading the thread that I had not mentioned I reserve and add any juices from the mushroom smoking process to the dip. Glad you liked it.

Doug,

Would you consider somehow editing your original post to include these notations? Especially the part about the juices!

JimT

Anyone else think some shredded cheese would be killer in this? I'm leaning towards Gouda(unsmoked) or some Edam. Any thoughts?

Doug,
I did your recipe as described. Big hit at last night's Christmas party! It evolved from being a dip for the chips and bagel pieces to a spread on mini roast beef sandwiches. It was tasty either way.
Donny

I have made this recipe and my whole family loves it!! Used smoked salmon instead of mushrooms also. Just added a little bit of dill and it was a party fav. One also addition is that I fry up some bacon and crumble it in the dip. I just use the Bacon in the mushroom dip and not the salmon.

I made this dip for xmas appetizer, but saved a portion and added horseradish to accompany our 18# boneless prime rib roast. Magnifique!

The only horsie you should ever buy is the raw variety and grate it yourself. The stuff you buy in the jar just doesn't even measure up.

Back