Double-checking pork butt injection liquid recipe

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I have this injection liquid recipe posted by Jim Minion which I'm planning to use tonight.

1 1/2 cups apple juice
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup rub
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

I've noticed that most other injections have some type of vinegar in the mix.

Jim, is there a reason you don't use cider vinegar in yours? Does it cause a mushy texture in the meat?

Rita

Rita
you could use vinegar I would go with cidar vinegar, won't need a lot. Try 1/4 cup and cut back apple juice by the same amount.
Jim

Thanks, Jim. I just wanted to make sure I had it right. Appreciate your replying.
icon_smile.gif

Best,
Rita

Jim is this what you needed to know?

I used these proportions for the injection:

5.0 oz apple juice (5.5 oz can minus 1 tblsp, OR pref. Martinelli apple juice; comes in 10-oz jars)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon table salt (I ratioed this up for the brand of kosher salt I use)
2 tablespoons Texas BBQ Rub # 2 (brisket rub)
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Makes 1 2/3 cups injection liquid.

I had 3/4 cup left, so I used a scant 1 cup liquid for one 5.5-lb butt. A little leaked out, but not much. I tried using a zig-zag motion when inserting and removing the needle to avoid much leakage, but I’m not sure I got the motions just right. It’s been ages since I injected anything. I just now found (thanks to you), my instructions on just how to do this. I need to review them myself.

TO REDUCE LEAKAGE OF INJECTION LIQUID, inject, then flip syringe over the path of the injection, and remove it in the opposite direction from the one which you injected the turkey. (Example: Inject turkey breast meat from the vent end. With the needle still in the meat, flip the plunger end over the turkey toward the neck end, then pull the injector out of the meat.)

Someone, please enlighten us as to that technique.

NOTES: I injected just before lighting my coals. Next time I’ll go back to Jim Minion's original recipe and use 6 oz of apple juice and no vinegar, as per his advice. I thought the meat texture was very slightly on the mushy side, but I was hyper-critical and was looking for that -- no one else noticed (politeness was not an issue). I’ll be adding vinegar sauce along with some of the rub when pulling the meat rather than during the cook, which is generally advised. Other than that, we loved our pulled pork.

Back