Double brisket cook help?

Mike O.

TVWBB Member
I'm planning on making my first briskets in the WSM this weekend. The brisket pickens down at the local grocer was pretty bad, and I came away with one that was 5.3 pounds, and one that was 8.5 pounds (both trimmed).

I'm planning on putting the smaller one on the lower grate, but even with that, should I anticipate a significant difference in cook time between the two? If so, would it be better to put the smaller one on later, or take it off earlier, or does it really matter?

I'm going to use the Minion method in the WSM, and I'm thinking of starting the charcoal at 10:00 p.m., hoping to have the briskets sliced and on the table by about 1:00 the following afternoon. (The overnight weather is supposed to be in the 40's and damp.)

Do my estimations sound reasonable? Any suggestions? (Oh -- also: Merry Christmas!!!!)

Mike,
I don't think you'll have a problem as you described your cook. If you can, monitor the temps of the two brisket. If one seems to be getting done significantly faster, just switch places in the cooker. You may be able to get two smaller briskets like that on one rack. My recent briskets have all been about 8 pounds and were off the smoker in under 12 hours, then wrapped and rested.

I almost always just do flats. My cooks almost always take 1 hr 15 min per pound. Now if they are thick it'll add some time and if they are thin less time. The rule of thumb for flats is 1hr - 1.5 hrs per pound. The 5 lb one i'd be putting on in the early AM. Fig about 6-7 hrs for that one.
icon_smile.gif

Where do you just get flats? The only way I can find just flats is with all the fat trimmed off of it.

Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesar:
Where do you just get flats? The only way I can find just flats is with all the fat trimmed off of it.

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I get most of my flats at a Super Wal Mart. BJ's wharehouse has some nice ones too but are way overpriced for flats. I do get the rest of my meat Butt's, Ribs, and Chuckrolls at BJ'S.
icon_smile.gif

So do you as the butcher for it specially cut? Because at our local wal-mart it has all the fat cut off already. do you purchase these or do they sell them with all the fat?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesar:
So do you as the butcher for it specially cut? Because at our local wal-mart it has all the fat cut off already. do you purchase these or do they sell them with all the fat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ask the butcher at WM for ones that are still in the cryovac bag. Yes they have been trimmed at the meat packing plant but there's still plenty of fat left on them about a 1/16" - 1/8" of fat ontop. Never had a problem with them drying out. Yes i've seen the flats that are out of the cryo, and they are trimmed down to the meat by the butcher at WM, BJ's, Costco.
icon_eek.gif

Back