Don't see much tri-tip chatter . . .

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm a new WSM user (have one smoke under my belt) and I'm planning my next smoke; I grill tri-tip quite often and think it would be excellent in the WSM, however, I haven't seen much chatter about tri-tip on the board and what I have seen have been references to grilling vs. WSM. Has anyone out there smoked tri-tip in their WSM? The lack of action on this cut of beef makes me wonder if it does not lend itself to smoking.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Larry R., Fresno CA

WSM
Weber Genesis 1000
22 1/2 Performer w/Touch-N-Go

Tri-tip is a west coast thing. Not as prevalent in other parts of the US, so it costs a little more.

Try tri tip in the find menu and you will get lots of past discussions. When I do tri-tip. I use Santamaria seasonings, some oak wood and grill at 350 in the WSM.

Tri-tip search

Russell

Hey Larry:

I'm pretty new at the WSM thing too but I think a tri would be great on a WSM, I saw some really big ones at Costco today .

Here's a thread that talks about tri tip. Next time I do tri tip I'll probably try it on the WSM after browning it up on my Smokey Joe or vice versa.

Donald

It just so happens I smoked a tri-tip today (first smoke of the year). For the most part, I followed the recipe from this site (http://virtualweberbullet.com/tritip1.html). I did my rub just slightly different (due to on-hand ingredients) and I only had hickory chunks. But it turned out sublime.

By sublime, I mean... I'm originally from Santa Maria. Tri-tip was our BBQ. Tonight brought me right back there. I did miss the presence of Santa Maria style beans, but I had left overs of Keri's beans that filled the spot just nicely.

In a nutshell, smoking tri-tip isn't your typical low 'n slow bbq. It's a higher temp. and it doesn't take very long, but an hour cook goes a long way for flavor. It's what I'd consider 'between' grilling and BBQing.

Follow the tri-tip recipes here and you'll do fine.

Basics are, smoke until the meat hits 120 (for med rare), then finish direct over the coals.

Rest at least 10 minutes. Slice against the grain and serve.

Back