Don't let your Meat Loaf

Jeffr Hode

TVWBB Fan
Don't let your Meat Loaf /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

This weekend I didn't have much time but still wanted the taste of a smoke, so after coming across a recipe in Smoke & Spice for "Aint Moma's Meatloaf" I decided to give it a shot. It turned out great.

1 TBSP. veg. oil
1/2 cup minced onion, saute until soft
1/2 bell pepper (I didn't add this)
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp black pepper
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt (a little too much salt for me)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/4 ground beef
3/4 ground pork
1 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs
3 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 large egg
1/4 cup beef broth
1 tsp tobasco ( I didn't add this)

I mopped with the following every 30-45 minutes :
12 ounces beer (Sam Adams baby !)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp rub ( I used Armadillo Willies)

After cooking at 200-225 fro about an hour in a dish the meat was firm enough to "flip out" onto the grate. There it sat for approx 3 more hours until the temp was 160*. The recipe called for only 2 1/4 hours, but the temp wasn't even 140* at that point. When the temp hit about 155 I glazed with a light brush of Kraft Honey Brown BBQ sauce straight from the bottle.

I hope someone else gives this a shot......It is a nice change on an old favorite. In the past I have also added a couple of tbsp of salsa in the mix to add some moisture and flavor, and have used dry stuffing instead of bread crumbs, but didn't do it this time. Booth of those work out well too.

See if this works... http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?Uc=y7kwbtz.9zlzvjz3&Uy=-q6dc4g&Ux=0&collid=782794907103&photoid=682794907103

Jeff

Jeff

Your post was timely for me. My wife and visiting mother-in-law both requested a WSM meatloaf for dinner this evening.

For the most part your recipe is pretty much like mine. The major difference is that I substitute grated parmesan for the sour cream. I also saute the onions first before putting the bowl with the rest of the stuff.

I've never mopped before and may give that a try.

Griff

interesting point to folow up.....I wish I had pics of this to show.

I did the first 60 minutes of the cook in a pyrex loaf dish and then the remainder of the time open on the grate, yet the smoke ring is only on the top. It didn't penetrate anywhere the Pyrex was even though I had a couple of oak chunks smoke up after I flipped my loaf out of the pyrex. Is the smoke ring done forming in the first hour of the cook ?

Oh...and I did saute the onions, I'll make the correction.

jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jeffr hode:
Is the smoke ring done forming in the first hour of the cook ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The chemical reaction that causes the smokering stops after the meat exceeds 140*F.

Jeff

Just wanted to follow up. The meat loaf last night was super. Except much to my consternation, I forgot to try the mob. Darn, now I'm going to have to do it again soon. Oh well, meatloaf sandwiches are a personal favorite.

Griff

this recipe sounds great!

question, did you use regular, lean or extra lean GB? do you think the last two might be too lean for this recipe in the WSM?

Shawn,

The Shop-Rite and other super markets in my area have a packaged "meatloaf mix" in the meat dept. It is usually, but this may vary, 60% beef, and 20% ground pork and 20% ground veal. The beef is 80% lean. If the meat is folded into itself loosly when mixed, instead of really mashed and compacted together, the loaf has pieces of pork and veal throughout instead of a mushed combination, which adds a nice texture and I think it's more flavorful and juicy.

jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jeffr hode:
Don't let your Meat Loaf
icon_smile.gif

This weekend I didn't have much time but still wanted the taste of a smoke, so after coming across a recipe in Smoke & Spice for "Aint Moma's Meatloaf" I decided to give it a shot. It turned out great.

1 TBSP. veg. oil
1/2 cup minced onion, saute until soft
1/2 bell pepper (I didn't add this)
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp black pepper
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt (a little too much salt for me)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/4 ground beef
3/4 ground pork
1 1/2 cups dried bread crumbs
3 tbsp sour cream
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 large egg
1/4 cup beef broth
1 tsp tobasco ( I didn't add this)

I mopped with the following every 30-45 minutes :
12 ounces beer (Sam Adams baby !)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp rub ( I used Armadillo Willies)

After cooking at 200-225 fro about an hour in a dish the meat was firm enough to "flip out" onto the grate. There it sat for approx 3 more hours until the temp was 160*. The recipe called for only 2 1/4 hours, but the temp wasn't even 140* at that point. When the temp hit about 155 I glazed with a light brush of Kraft Honey Brown BBQ sauce straight from the bottle.

I hope someone else gives this a shot......It is a nice change on an old favorite. In the past I have also added a couple of tbsp of salsa in the mix to add some moisture and flavor, and have used dry stuffing instead of bread crumbs, but didn't do it this time. Booth of those work out well too.

See if this works... http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?Uc=y7kwbtz.9zlzvjz3&Uy=-q6dc4g&Ux=0&collid=782794907103&photoid=682794907103

Jeff </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Recipe sounds great, will have to try it. This may have been covered, but I have good luck using the small disposable loaf pans when smoking meatloaf. I poke a few holes in the bottom to allow the grease to drain away from the meat while cooking. Spray with Pam before using and it flips out real easy. Try Head Country BBQ sauce on one, instead of the Kraft. You gonna' love it!

Jim in Alabama

Back