Don't laugh... Smoked Tofu?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Can't believe I'm actually posing this question - can (should?) you smoke tofu? My friend's wife is a veggie(tarian) and they're coming over for dinner next week. I plan on doing a butt and some ribs, so my friend (who's veggie by default but gonna help me eat piggie Saturday) wonders aloud if we could try smoking some tofu. If so, what's best route? (size of tofu, thickness, how long, "rubs", "marinades", etc.). If I wasn't trying to be the Host with the Most, I'd be laughing too! Thanks.

BeerBoy

Beerboy-

I have grilled/smoked tofu on the Weber Kettle grill with great success. I intend to try smoking some on my WSM. I plan to cut a block of tofu into two or three thinner pieces and then press them for a while to get out as much moisture as possible. I think I'll try sprinkling a rub onto it before I smoke. The only thing I can't advise you on is the length of time to smoke it. I would think it would not take too long, but I plan to experiment by taking a piece off after 1 hour, another after 1.5 hours, and another after 2 hours. Since tofu can be eaten raw, you can't really under-cook it.

Good luck. Let me know what you find, and I'll share my results on the board.

Ken

[This message has been edited by Ken Peabody (edited 07-27-2001).]

I run into the same dilemma all the time - trying to cook for carnivores, omnivores and herbivores at the same time. A potential snag may be how "zealous" the vegetarians are. I know some that won't eat any food that "has been where meat has been." If nothing else, make sure the grate is very clean, or smoke it on a piece of foil. Otherwise, I think it will work fine, and I'd bet that tofu will be pretty tasty!

George

Freeze the tofu first, thaw it and then press it under a weight for an hour or so to get that 'restaurant tofu' texture.

Cheers!
...Matt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back