Don't have a butcher yet - finding brisket

Brian H.

TVWBB Member
Now that I have gone from using my brinkmann smoker several times a year, to using my WSM every weekend, I need to find a butcher. I haven't had time yet and I want to smoke a brisket this weekend. I will be going by a Sam's and Costco tomorrow. I looked last weekend and Costco did not have any briskets. Does Sam's regularly carry them?

And if anyone knows of a good butcher in Birmingham, please let me know.
Thanks

Thanks Bryan, I will pass a Super Wal-Mart tomorrow and pick one up.

I have never smoked a brisket, after all, I am in pork country, but am anxious and I do enjoy good brisket. I am a firm believer cows and pork make good BBQ. I will be looking around this site for different ideas on rubs and prep. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Brian,
Texas BBQ rub, fat side down. When it hits 190, foil, fat side up and stick in a cooler wrapped in towels. 2 hours min., 4 hours best.

Rath *agrees with Brian*

Yep what Rath said. Fat side down when cooking and pull it off at 185-190. The Texas BBQ Rub is really good stuff. They have a #1 which is their original and a #2(brisket rub) that's got some heat to it and is not listed on their web site. If you order some just type in the comments box which one you want. You can also order the #1 and request a sample of the #2. I always keep both of them on hand they are great rubs. IMO They're Awsome.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Don and Bryan. Now I guess the next question - Why fat side down? I know this a perspnal preferance, and obviously you both feel you are getting better results with the fat side down - why?

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
I get mine at Super Wal Mart. They carry choice full packers for $1.28 lb. Not sure about Sam's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went to Super Wallyworld and they had select full packers fo $1.28lb, they were not choice. I guess I will try Sam's later.

The butcher hunt might go into full swing this weekend.

Brian I just wanted to say that I love your logo! Can't wait till the fall to see how they do. Been bleeding Black and Gold since I can remember. Good luck with your brisket. I'm gonna pick one up at Wal Mart soon and do my first also.

Born in Pitt, moved away at a young age, but have always bled black and gold.

Onto BBQ, if I can't find a choice brisket, how will the select turn out? I have never grilled select steaks - only prime and choice - and there is certainly a difference between prime and choice.

I've smoked selects and I really can't taste the difference between select and choice. Up here in New England you smoke what you can find. All the brisket up here is made into pastrami so it's difficult to find small flats let alone a nice sized packer. And the price is crazy. $3.89 a lb. for brisket. Grrrrrr.

Hey Brian,

My butcher is "Mr. C's Choppin Block" run by Chris. You can get him at 205.664.4008. It is off Hwy 17 in Maylene sharing the parking lot with Fox Valley Restaurant. I live in Helena, so it is close to me. They share a building with a seafood shop. Great combination!

A few weeks ago, I ordered a full packer brisket and 2 butts on Tues and Chris had it on Fri. I did the overnight cook and it turned out super.

I had previously gotten brisket from Wal Mart, but availability is hit and miss around Bham.

Hope this helps.
Sj

Thanks Sonny, a little out of the way, but I will keep Mr. C's Choppin block on my mind. I am pretty close to Spain Park high.

Back