dome and grate reading same temp

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've only used the WSM a few times for ribs and brisket. For some reason my dome readings(thru the vent) read within 2-3 degrees of the upper grate. This seems strange but I have 3 dial thermometers and a polder and get the results with all of them. To check grate temp I used potato with the polder thru it. All thermometers read 212(+/- a degree or 2) in boiling water.

Has anyone had this happen?

I'm trying to get the hang of this smoker and other than this small issue it's great. I use the Minion method to start the fire and start with the water pan full(pre-heated water) and add water when it gets low but not empty. I also let the WSM hold the temp for 20-30 minutes before putting the food on.

Thanks,
Brad

Brad
BBQ is not baking so exact temps is not really needed to produce good Q. You need to stay within a range (others mays disagree, your mileage may very), I find as long as the cooker is between 225 and 270? for most meats, life is good (poultry higher temps just fine).

Your temps should be 20 to 25? different from the grate to top of the dome but the fact that they are not reading that is not really going to hurt how the cookers is cooking.
Jim

Brad,

I have also experienced where the temp at the dome is within 5 or 10 degrees of the top grate. I'm sure Jim is right, I would not be that concerned. If you know your thermometers are right and you are within the temp range you want everything will be fine...enjoy.

Brad, another thought...are you using a stem thermometer through the dome? If so, how long is the stem?

I was doing some overnight cooks last week in Arizona and noticed somewhat the same thing. My AZ WSM has a dome mounted Ashcroft as well as one on the lower grate. These thermo's were within five degrees of each other after about two hours into the cook. I would have thought there would have been a much more of a difference.

I believe the difference in temperature may very well be affected by several factors - outside temperature, amount of airflow from the bottom vents, amount of water in the water pan, amount and/or doneness of meat in the smoker, etc. At various times, I've seen both small and large differences. The only temperature that means anything is the one closest to where the meat is being cooked. With most foods, even it can vary by 25?F, or so, without cause for concern.

Bruce,
The stem on 2 of my dial thermometers is 4", the other is 6".

It's not a big deal and once I have a few more cooks on it I'll have a better idea what dome temp to shoot for. The dome was reading 250-260 for the brisket cook and it came out to dry. Next time I'll assume on dome and grate being the same(or very close) and see how it turns out.

I'm gonna see if I can find a piece of 1/4" tubing to mount a thermometer just below the upper grate like someone on the forum has done(sorry I forget who). I don't feel like drilling a hole in my new WSM just yet lol.

Thanks,
Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back