doing pork butts..what rub? and a brisket question..

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
Is it neccessary to marinate the butts overnight with a rub? I just picked up the butts today and want to get them going by tonight. I have a bunch of Dizzy Pig rubs(haven't used them yet) or I could make one up per someones recipe I guess. Any ideas?

I will be doing my first brisket hopefully this weekend too. I just picked it up at Sams. It reads "beef brisket half bonless cov". I asked if they had whole untrimmed briskets but she said they only get what they get. It's about 6lbs. I'm excited to try the brisket as I haven't done one yet. Tell ya the truth I don't even know if I've ever had brisket!!

As always, thanks for the help!
Ron

Ron

Don't need to marinade or rub the butts the night before. Don't recall anyone saying they thought it benefited the cook when they tried. You've got a good comm'l rub and I think I would use it.

Have a great cook and post along if you have questions or concerns.

Paul

well I got 4 butts on. I rubbed two with Dizzy Pig coarse bbq rub and left the other two plain. Curious to see how the plain ones come out. I don't plan on turning, rotating, basting or anything till they are done. I'm lazy. We'll see what happens!!

ron

Ron, I left a picnic marinade and didn't see any real difference. I never left one sit overnight with a rub on it, so can't help there. I just do 'em while waiting for the coals to start.

Back