Doing my 1st brisket tomorrow night

Tony C.

TVWBB Wizard
only other one i did was a flat indirect on a gasser a few years ago. i have an 11 pounder and a 10 pound picnic to do. i plan on using the saucer mod for the 1st time. i have an et-73 so i can be alarmed if the temp goes up too high, but i don't think that will be a problem. i plan on putting the picnic on the bottom skin side down.

Most people put pork on top of brisket in order to help baste the brisket below.

I had to put the pork under the brisket last time I cooked due to dietary restrictions of one guest and it worked out great.

I did the pork fat side down just as you intend. For whatever reason, the butts got done sooner than I had anticipated. Just be wary since you will probably have the meat probe up in the brisket and it is a bit of bother to check the meat temperature on the bottom rack

I am sure you will have sucess.

i have a 2nd wireless probe that will go in the picnic. i'm just worried about going waterless for the 1st time and the picnic was .69/lb while the brisket was 1.69/lb. i'd rather have the 7 dolalr cut shileding the 18 dollar cut of meat. i may swap them midway if temp stability isn't an issue.

Originally posted by Tony C.:
i'm just worried about going waterless for the 1st time

No need to worry about going waterless. I can't remember how many years it's been since I used water. With all that meat in there you'll have no problems with the temps. Put the pork on the top fat side up and the brisket on the lower grate fat side down, yes fat side down. Put some crumpled up foil in your water pan and then cover the top with a full sheet with a nice dip in to hold all the grease.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

I use the clay saucer with the Minion method and have no problem at all holding temps where I want them, I don't think you'll have to worry about stability.

Tony, my .02 as a newbie who has used clay saucer only three times; do not use too many lit coals to start your MM, I use 10 - 12 (per more seasoned members) and catch the temp on the way up as it's very tough to get the temp down (at least for me) when using clay saucer. I start with all bottom vents 100% open, when she hits 200 I close all bottom vents completly or to 1/8 open. I don't know how new your smoker is newer but mine only has 4 - 5 smokes in her and still burns a little hot but I noticed with my last smoke she's coming down a bit.

Good luck and I hope you like the clay saucer mod.

i've done 6 smokes and the WSM ran a bit hot. i did some tweaking to the door and drilled a hole in my wood table next to it so i can slide an umbrella in it(no shade at all in my yard). i have 20 rancher's briquettes in my weber chimney waiting to be fired off at 11:30 tonight. maybe i'll take 8-10 of them back out.

i posted in the clay base thread, but i could only find a 12 inch one and it fits percectly in the ECB coal pan. it sit's 1/2 inch down leaving a near 5 inch air gap.

i'm beginning to think i'm going to put the brisket on bottom fat side down(i only trimmed a little fat off) and the picnic on top skin side up.

Originally posted by Tony C.:
i have 20 rancher's briquettes in my weber chimney waiting to be fired off at 11:30 tonight. maybe i'll take 8-10 of them bback out

Tony, Are you going to be putting the B&B in at the same time? If so the 20 lit won't hurt you with all that cold meat going in all at once. If you are going to put the Butt in first then add the brisket later in the cook then start with 10-12. HTH, Bryan

Originally posted by LarryR:
I start with all bottom vents 100% open, when she hits 200 I close all bottom vents completly or to 1/8 open.
You may want to think about starting to close the vents a little earlier. I usually start with about 12 briquettes and by the time it's in the 150 range I already have my vents closed to about 1/2, then when I get close to 200 I'll set them about the same way that you do. Note that this is for one butt/brisket flat, larger quantities of meat will take a little more air/fuel to get up to temp. You have to start reigning in the fire before you get too close to your target temp otherwise you won't be able to stop it before it overshoots.

Originally posted by Eric W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
I start with all bottom vents 100% open, when she hits 200 I close all bottom vents completly or to 1/8 open.
You may want to think about starting to close the vents a little earlier. I usually start with about 12 briquettes and by the time it's in the 150 range I already have my vents closed to about 1/2, then when I get close to 200 I'll set them about the same way that you do. Note that this is for one butt/brisket flat, larger quantities of meat will take a little more air/fuel to get up to temp. You have to start reigning in the fire before you get too close to your target temp otherwise you won't be able to stop it before it overshoots. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea, i was planning on starting shutting down around 150. usually i just start with 2 vents wide open and one fully closed because the back vent is a pain to get to where my WSM is set up. i also make sure the top vent is always towards the back to compensate for the lack of airflow in at the back. i might have that totally wrong, but it seems to work.

man, i love this clay saucer mod. the WSM was 220 when i went to bed at midnight and 228 when i woke up at 6:15

Back