does more ribs mean more time

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have had good success smoking ribs but only 2 to three racks at a time. I have recently been asked to smoke up 10 racks of baby backs for a party. Do I need to lengthen my smoking time since their will be more meat on the grill?

Not significantly. The cold meat may make the smoker take a little longer getting up to temp, but just in my experience, 1 or 2 slabs don't cook much quicker than 8 to 10. You will lose a bit of heat when you flip ribs - with that many, you will need to flip top to bottom and side to side at least once, in my opinion. Stogie is a master at cooking massive quantities of ribs on the WSM. I think fourteen is his record, at last count.

Are you coiling or racking?

Keri C, still smokin on Tulsa Time

It will take more time only in the respect that the cumulative mass of meat will initially present more of a challenge to the amount of burning fuel. Once the target cooker temperature has been achieved, the amount of time will be about the same for 1 rack or 10 racks.

Peter, welcome to the board!!

I really can't add much to what Keri and Doug have already said.

When I do this many ribs, I make sure to use a full chimney of coals. I use the MM for everything I cook and a full chimney of coals will get that temp up very quick. I add all my meats as soon as the charcoal is added. It may take about 30-45 minutes to get up to my 225?, but once there they will cook the same.

I add about an hour to my cooking time but that is mostly for what Keri mentioned...the maintenance of rotating and mopping and foiling. As mentioned, you will need to rotate so plan accordingly and have all your work spaces pre-planned.

Best of luck!!

Thanks for the info.-I am planning to rack the ribs and maybe pile some on top-I have seen stogie's web page with impressive piles of ribs being smoked. All I know is that once I buy the pork it's all getting on the smoker one way or another!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back