Does a 2 burner Spirit cook evenly?

Craig A

TVWBB Fan
I'm considering a Spirit E-210 because I'm tired of dealing with hot/cold spots on my cheap old gasser. My budget is limited so the Spirit is the only Weber that would be available.

My concern with the 210 is that the two burner tubes are at the front and rear, close to the edges, with a large unheated space in the middle. Does this design produce two hot zones with a large cold zone in the middle, or does the grill heat evenly?

Hi Craig
When you cook with the lid down thewhole grilling area is the same. These BBQs are designed to mainly cook with the lid down.
I don't know the price differences but have you considered the Weber Q series as an alternate.

Cheers

Thanks. My cheap charbroil (it's cheap even for a CB) is hot only over the burner. How does the Weber get evenly hot where there is no burner? Weber does a poor job of describing the benefits of their design in the documentation I've been able to find.

The Q has recently shown up on my radar, however I can get a good deal on the 2 burner Spirit.

Craig,
I don't have any experience with the Spirit line but I have picked up a two used Genesis Gassers and restored them from CL over the past few years for very reasonable amounts (less than 150 total cost in each. This is my latest rebuild ). And I have noticed that the closer you are to the control panel the hotter it cooks (even with the lid down).

I assume that because that end is closer to the manifold and more gas pressure is available. I would also assume this is true on the Spirit since they both use left to right burners.

On my Q200 I don't notice much in the way of hot spots but Phil is the man when it come to the Q series and can give many tips tricks for great cooking on them.

Craig I just had a look on amazon and the prices for the spirit and the Q320 were about the same, The q300 was cheaper and the Q220 was cheaper again.
If I was to be asked which model I would purchase it would definitely be the Q320. Mate what an awesome BBQ that is and one of the prime reasons is that it is so easy to clean and cooks so evenly and quickly. It also uses less gas. I have the Q220, actually I have a Q120, Q220, Genesis E320, a OTS, a OTG, A Performer and a Traeger Pellet Grill, plus a home made toolbox smoker. I use the Q220 about 70 - 75% of the time and BBQ about 6 times a week on average. For a quick grill you can't beat the convenience. I also do Tandoori Lamb and Chicken in it as well as many seafood dishes. It's all about knowing your BBQ and the methods of cooking.
Cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig A:
I'm considering a Spirit E-210 because I'm tired of dealing with hot/cold spots on my cheap old gasser. My budget is limited so the Spirit is the only Weber that would be available.

My concern with the 210 is that the two burner tubes are at the front and rear, close to the edges, with a large unheated space in the middle. Does this design produce two hot zones with a large cold zone in the middle, or does the grill heat evenly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Spirit 210 will cook much more evenly than the Charbroil your used too! Alot has to do with burner placement...if you look at the actual burners they are pretty evenly spaced in the cookbox. The other factor which is designed in is the shape and material of the lid. The lid is slanted both in the front and the back, along with the lid being porcelain on the inside as well as the outside. This gives you an indirect heat source as well, since the heat is reflected off the porcelain and back into the center of the grill. Thats why the Weber gassers can do indirect cooking so well....

consumer reports actually gave the spirit e-210 the highest score for its size category. i can't remember exactly but i think it rated evenness of heat either very good or excellent. i have the spirit e-310 and it's slightly hotter on the left side due burner crossbar but still a lot more even than other brands i've used.

Back