Do you usually break even on cost at Comps?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are you suggesting that it be mandatory for a contest to have a huge purse and pay out through 4-5 spots to ensure the competitors at least "break even"??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nope, not at all.

to say that this is a simple matter of handing out more awards misses my point.

I understand that there isn't a ton of money in any given contest and there's no shortage of teams to take my place if I were to stop competing, so I don't really have much of an argument. However, if you look at all expenses for both the teams and the organizers and all sources of income for the teams and the organizers, my guess is that the teams are way in the red and the organizers are in the black.

I think it can be compared to pro sports labor negotiations, neither the players or the owners can exist without each other so they have to decide on how to fairly share league income. Unlike pro sports, bbq contest organizers are even more dependent on the competitors because we each bring 2-3 times the cost of the entry fee just to be able to operate. A 50 team event with a $200 entry fee means the teams are chipping in $25,000 to cover their operating expenses on top of the $10,000 entry fee for prize money and site costs. Most bbq events could not exist without teams putting up more than half of the total operating costs of the event.

With any professional sport, some or all of the competitors earn money in exchange for their skill and efforts. Whether you want to believe it or not, you are involved in a professional sport where contest organizers make money and very few, if any, competitors make money. If the system were more balanced some of us would make money for our efforts, rather than none, or few, of us.

Please don't think I'm whining or ranting, because I like competing as much as the next team. However, I think this thread has brought up a really interesting point: why can't some or more of us make money doing this? Maybe it's as simple as there isn't enough money for that to happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom L:
The $110 for brisket...is that 1 brisket? What kind of brisket is used at comps (in general?)
Thanks,
Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, one 14-15 lb brisket. It's a Strube Waygu. We order it through Big Poppa's Smokers. We usually call it in on Thursday, tell them we want a 14-15 lb brisket on Wednesday. It generally ships on Monday and sometimes we get it on Tuesday.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
to say that this is a simple matter of handing out more awards misses my point.

I understand that there isn't a ton of money in any given contest and there's no shortage of teams to take my place if I were to stop competing, so I don't really have much of an argument. However, if you look at all expenses for both the teams and the organizers and all sources of income for the teams and the organizers, my guess is that the teams are way in the red and the organizers are in the black.

I think it can be compared to pro sports labor negotiations, neither the players or the owners can exist without each other so they have to decide on how to fairly share league income. Unlike pro sports, bbq contest organizers are even more dependent on the competitors because we each bring 2-3 times the cost of the entry fee just to be able to operate. A 50 team event with a $200 entry fee means the teams are chipping in $25,000 to cover their operating expenses on top of the $10,000 entry fee for prize money and site costs. Most bbq events could not exist without teams putting up more than half of the total operating costs of the event.

With any professional sport, some or all of the competitors earn money in exchange for their skill and efforts. Whether you want to believe it or not, you are involved in a professional sport where contest organizers make money and very few, if any, competitors make money. If the system were more balanced some of us would make money for our efforts, rather than none, or few, of us.

Please don't think I'm whining or ranting, because I like competing as much as the next team. However, I think this thread has brought up a really interesting point: why can't some or more of us make money doing this? Maybe it's as simple as there isn't enough money for that to happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are very wrong in your assumptions. I realize that there are not many contests up north to start with and certainly not many with decent purses. To tell the truth, if I lived up there, I wouldn't even be doing competition BBQ. Well...either that or I'd be out trying to garner more sponsorships and get the purses up to where they should be.

I don't think you have any idea what it cost to put on a KCBS competition with a $10k purse. The sanctioning fees aren't bad, but there's that, the per diem for the reps, mileage and hotel for the reps, utilities, advertisement, tent rentals, tables, chairs, sanitation, porta-jons, security, facility management, etc.

I rarely hear of an organizer making any money. If you think competition BBQ is something like pro baseball or football, I would invite you to look at putting your own competition on.

You say that "A 50 team event with a $200 entry fee means the teams are chipping in $25,000 to cover their operating expenses on top of the $10,000 entry fee for prize money"... I think you have a poor sentence, but you're math is a little off... 50x$200 = $10,000. If you think the teams' entry fee should be 100% of the payout, that is great. Nothing wrong with that thinking.

But you have to understand the other expenses for the organizer-

Trophies...and all that stuff I mentioned before.

I have heard a conservative estimate of $1,000 per team in costs to the organizer to put a competition on. 50 teams cost $50,000. That figure includes prize money, reps, sanctioning fees, 3-5 year amortization of utilities, etc.

You're right...if you think it's not worth it, there's folks wanting to take your spot. But I believe you are dead wrong about the organizers making money...besides, nearly ALL of the contests in the south are put on by municipalities or similar organizations/tourists associations and all they look at the BBQ contest is it to be an attractant.

It draws people in town for the day and possibly back for other trips.

Sponsors are the key to big money contests...without the local sponsors, there won't be any contests.

There's two contests we could go to this weekend...both similar drive time. One is in the mountains of North GA, a 28-30 team event, sweet trophies, $6,000 purse, IIRC. $1500 GC, $1000 RGC, $500 to win each meat. Paying through 5 spots.

The other one is in Augusta, GA, $38,000 purse and probably 100 teams. Probably in a flat spot, 60k people in attendance, concert with several thousand drunks on Friday night and judges from probably 3 states.

We're going to the mountains.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I rarely hear of an organizer making any money. If you think competition BBQ is something like pro baseball or football, I would invite you to look at putting your own competition on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's understandable. And I stated "Maybe it's as simple as there isn't enough money for that to happen." If contests do not make money then we shouldn't be looking to profit from them.

However, I regularly compete in a contest that is a fund raiser for a charitable organization. The organization doesn't need publicity, so they must be running the contest for income. I doubt they would run it for several years in a row if they are losing money or only breaking even. I'd like to see our operating cost considered as a donation to a charitable organization.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> You say that "A 50 team event with a $200 entry fee means the teams are chipping in $25,000 to cover their operating expenses on top of the $10,000 entry fee for prize money"... I think you have a poor sentence, but you're math is a little off... 50x$200 = $10,000. If you think the teams' entry fee should be 100% of the payout, that is great. Nothing wrong with that thinking.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was basing my math on the $700 figure that is estimated to be the average cost per team per contest. $200x50 for the entry fee, and $500x50 for team expenses. The point I was trying to make is that teams have a sizable contribution to the operating expenses of a contest. I would expect a contest has sizable operating expenses, but the combined team expenses are sizable as well.

Terre: You need to read j's posts more closely before you incorrectly jump all over him. He's seeking info, and while you provided some insight into the expenses, you could have done it in a more helpful and less harsh tone.

Kg

Back