Do you paint bare metal pieces in your rehab?

DanJC

TVWBB Fan
In my rehabs, I've noticed the unpainted pieces tend to get really rusty -- the grease tray supports under the firebox or the spark box for the ignitor system, for
example.

Would it make sense to paint these in order to better protect from rust? Does anyone do that, and what are your results?

In my rehabs, I've noticed the unpainted pieces tend to get really rusty -- the grease tray supports under the firebox or the spark box for the ignitor system, for
example.

Would it make sense to paint these in order to better protect from rust? Does anyone do that, and what are your results?
Hi Dan, The rails that hold the big grease tray are either aluminum or some type of galvanized steel. You could paint them but it probably doesn't matter.

The spark box inside the grill shouldn't be painted. The paint will just burn off and out-gas

Hi Dan, The rails that hold the big grease tray are either aluminum or some type of galvanized steel. You could paint them but it probably doesn't matter.

The spark box inside the grill shouldn't be painted. The paint will just burn off and out-gas
Good point on the spark box. The replacement I received claims it's stainless steel, so hopefully don't have to worry too much about it disintegrating.

Good point on the spark box. The replacement I received claims it's stainless steel, so hopefully don't have to worry too much about it disintegrating.
Dan the heat from the burner will wear a "bite" mark in the box. It's a wear-out part and doesn't cost too much. You can always light the grill manually as a back-up

The "box" is called a collector because that's what it does...it collects the gas from the jets in the burner prior to ignition, and as such it is constantly in the flame. The stainless is so thin that it doesn't last long, but fortunately it doesn't need to be pristine to do its job. You have to buy the whole igniter to get the collector, unfortunately...it is not sold separately.

The "box" is called a collector because that's what it does...it collects the gas from the jets in the burner prior to ignition, and as such it is constantly in the flame. The stainless is so thin that it doesn't last long, but fortunately it doesn't need to be pristine to do its job. You have to buy the whole igniter to get the collector, unfortunately...it is not sold separately.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just plan on not paying attention to it!

I did find the collector without the ignitor, though you do have to pay for the wires.

They are all stainless steel. But it is very thin SS and right in the flame constantly. It will eventually rust/burn out. If they would make them out of 16 gauge SS, they would last much longer.
I believe they are called gas collectors.

Oh, absolutely! Use it for as long as you possibly can! Be grateful they no longer use this style of igniter.

1602197316841.png

Last edited:

Back