Do you keep your grill outside??

My Silver B has been outside for three and a half years with the Weber cover. The warming grate has rusted a bit (but maybe that's because I neither use it nor clean it). Beyond that' it's in great shape. The Weber cover is vented, which I believe is intended to allow condensation to escape. It doesn't seem to let in lots of water, even at the vented area (this may be because the vented area is kept away from the body of the grill by the handle).

Even leaving it outside, it will still outlast you (unless you have it on the beach).

I have had my Genesis Silver B within 3 miles of the Pacific Ocean for almost 10 years and its doing great. I little bit of paint chipping on the firebox (probably due to my overheating it), but that is it. I have used my standard issue Weber conver since Day One.

I leave all my grills outside. The WSM has an aftermarket cover that's not vented and the genesis has the weber cover that's vented. They both look great and i've had the genesis for about 6 months now. I live in Florida (humidity) so you should be fine.

There's a genesis around the corner from my building that's been outside uncovered for at least 3 years and it looks fantastic. These grills are truly built to last!

Yeah.
pict0024hz9.jpg

Sometimes I cover em... But lately it's either trying to get the ice off the cover, or the cooker....so they've been going commando on the deck as of late.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_cool.gif
wsmsmile8gm.gif

If you take a good look at the gas grill covers by weber you will see a big ugly mesh vent in them. If they are water tight, they are also going to be some what air tight too. I know... the bottom is open... The reason they are not water tight is that moisture builds up in the cook box and causes the ignitor not to work. The covers are designed to keep the grills cleaner, not to make them water proof.
BTW, my Gen 1000 has been outside without a cover in WI since the summer of 1998. Last year I had to replace a few parts for the first time.

My Q has spent two NY winters outside. I live next to the Hudson River, and let me tell you, it gets windy and wet here. I had the standard cover on it and it was fine. Aside from a little rust on the cooking grate everything survived ok. The burner and gas valve seem to be working fine (hasn't blown up yet).

From my experience, and from reading this forum these Weber products are made to last.

Hi Ron,

I live in Minnesota. We do weather. My kettle has lived on the deck for 7 years with the standard issue cover, my Genesis Silver B circa 2003 is next to it, similarly covered. Both are fine. I keep the WSM under the eave, because, as others have mentioned, the standard issue cover is not waterproof. H2O leakage winds up in the bottom bowl. Have since used a tent-sealing product to waterproof those seams.

I still wonder though, why does the WSM come with a weather cover that doesn't keep the weather out? Weird.

Hi, we're in Sydney and all 3 of my webers are outside (on a covered deck) My Summit and WSM have original weber covers and my Kettle is always uncovered..
No problems yet....

Originally posted by Mike MN:
Hi Ron,

I live in Minnesota. We do weather. My kettle has lived on the deck for 7 years with the standard issue cover, my Genesis Silver B circa 2003 is next to it, similarly covered. Both are fine. I keep the WSM under the eave, because, as others have mentioned, the standard issue cover is not waterproof. H2O leakage winds up in the bottom bowl. Have since used a tent-sealing product to waterproof those seams.

I still wonder though, why does the WSM come with a weather cover that doesn't keep the weather out? Weird.

Mike, if you put a plastic garbage bag either over the standard cover or over the WSM and then use the standard cover, you won't get water in your pan.

my silver a has been outside continuously since spring of 2003 and is holding up great(check my previous posts) i have only replaced the flavorizer bars.
as for my genesis 1000 ive only possessed it for a year but it looks good, also outdoors all year long.
my new 1100 i saved from the dump will also be an outside grill all with no covers unless i win the lottery

besides as much as i use them its quite a hassle to cover them all the time, i cant wait to cook thanksgiving and christmas turkeys again this year

My Weber Genesis gasser stays on back deck covered with standard weber cover all year round - including in the snow.....My WSM and performer are on my covered front patio...They get dusty but now snow or rain. I do cover the WSM cause it came with the cover,perfomer is uncovered......

My Performer and Genisis Silver are on the back deck both covered with a Weber Cover. Have been out there for years with no problem. My WSMs are on my back porch; however, I keep Weber covers on the but I am not sure why.

I've always kept my grills outside. The WSM has been out there for over a year,and still works great. While travelling this summer,we stopped in NJ at some friends. He had an older Genesis that he kept on his deck uncovered. It worked fine. I also saw some of his neighbors that kept theirs uncovered. He said that he never covered his. Just shows you how tough Webers are.

all mine are outside. when its nice they stay uncovered though if in the sun a lot i do cover. when the weather gets bad here, rain/fog then they get covered. no sense abusing something i spent good money on.

I've kept my Weber kettle, vent stamped G (1985) outside in Alaskan winters for 24 years. I didn't even use a cover until about eight years ago. My 18 WSM has been sitting outside on an uncovered deck since 2004 and my 22 WSM for the last year. I have had a Weber Genesis 1000 gasser siting outside with the standard cover since 1997. It does have the benefit of a roof overhang. No problems so far other than sometimes the sections of the WSM freeze together.

Both of mine are have always been sitting outside and the Genisis I got for free and am refurbishing is also sitting out there. The WSM was out there but now rests peacefully in the shed I just built.
icon_biggrin.gif

I generally keep all of my grills outside, but I try to keep the WSM covered when it rains because I hate having the charcoal bowl fill with water.

-Mark.

So, I should take all my grills outside and let my wife back in? She does fine with the standard Weber cover, except her feet get wet from time to time.

Back