Do you foil ribs?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm sure it's been discussed many times but since I'm constantly experimenting and learning, and I've tried both ways.

Right now I've got a rack of St. Louies on, and I'm doing a variation of 3-2-1. Naked for 3 hours, foiled for 1, and then naked again until the pull test works to my satisfaction.

What about you guys?

I'm doing something similiar. Got spares last night at Sams, three in a package. I've trimed and cut them St Louis and have 6 halves going. I think I'll go about 4 1/2, foil for 1 hr and then cook till tootpick tender. We like a little chew left and not quite falling off the bone. I'm using sand and dome temp is stable around 250.

Was out of AJ so got some this a.m. at WD. They had some real pretty beef ribs which are my wife's favorite. They went on about 2 hrs behind the spares. I'll probably foil them about 4 hrs into their cook.

Waiting for the ELITE EIGHT to start in a few hours. Maybe I can finally see all the games without falling asleep. It's hell to get old but it's worse not to. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Paul

Can't disagree with Stogie. Experiment. And if I may quote him, "more art then science." I foil St. Louis style 30 to 45 minutes max, and would probably never foil except that the better half tells me, "I like them falling off the bone." And you know that I am afeared of her.

I foiled ribs yesterday for 1 1/2 hrs. I should have went for 30-45 minutes tops. Next time I will pay more attention to the clock and less time to the cooler, if you get my meaning. If you like your ribs falling off the bone, 1 1/2 hrs should do the trick!

I spritzed 2 tenderloins (130*)with apple juice then foiled them for about 45 minutes, then after they hit (145*) I placed them in a cooler and wrapped them in towells until the ribs were done. Awesome they were but next time I will take them out at 140*.
The WSM held the temps like a champ all day though. Im hooked and my family have started to believe in it too.
DP
DP

Well I did the St. Louies yesterday at 3-1-1,
and they were just about perfect.

One note...I was out of apple juice, so when I foiled I just sprayed heavily with Pam. I think this led to less steam, and kept the meat from over cooking some.

I've only cooked BBs twice in my WSM. The first time I tried the BRITU recipe & it was just OK. The next time I tried Stogie's foiling method + Bonesuckin' rub & they were great. My family is still talking about how good those ribs were.

Foil can as does produce great Q.
Can you pruduce good Q without it yes.

Jim it sounds like a winner, I tend to vary my foil time by the size of the ribs. If they are really big spares then I have gone the full 2 hours.

Whatever you do, keep in mind that some barbecue sauces will react with, and eat through, aluminum foil. I learned that the hard way.

what type of sauce was that Howard?
I generally apply sauce after the foiling step.
I wonder if the sauce was high in vinager.

Stogie, thanks for the post. My BB's last Sunday were 1.5 lb. ea. Six hours just plain over cooked them. It IS about controling the variables and each detail makes a difference.

Bill & Stogie - thanks for the quick posts and info. I have not used foil on my spares in the past, but will give it a try next time. I like experimenting so this is the pefect hobby. Also there is a store right nearby that sells the Bonesucking sauce, so I will try that too. Who knows, maybe my GURU will arrive and I can try that too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back