Do you find it difficult to sauce ribs on bottom rack?

• Thread starter Thread starter Joey
  • Start date Start date

J

Joey

Hi All,

To the lack of delight of my wife, I am looking in to getting a smoker but I'm not sure which one to get. I am deciding between the Char-Broil Silver Smoker(SS) and the WSM. I am leaning towards the WSM because I would have to make several semi-involved modifications to the SS and practically none to the WSM. Plus, I read that the WSM is easier to use, meaning, easier to keep a stable temp than the SS. So, the WSM is in the lead.

However, there is one thing that is bothering me about the WSM and I didn't find any posts that covered this topic. How much of a pain is it if you want to sauce or mop something (ribs, lets say) on the bottom grate? I take it you have to lift the top grate to get at the bottom one so what are the chances of dropping some ribs that were on the top grate onto the ground?

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joey

Hey Joey

Just get a rib rack and a good set of heat resistant gloves and pick the grate up and set to the side.Most of us can get 3 slabs per level by rolling them up and skewering them. doesn't affect taste at all.Also a lot of people finish them on the grill at a higher temp when saucing.

Seeyyaaaa
Jeff

You are correct in that it is somewhat difficult to sause ribs on the bottom rack of a WSM. However, using a rib rack and cutting slabs in half, I can get 3 full slabs on the top rack. The same can be done rolling the slabs. That's a lot of ribs.

I recommend a 4 ft or longer table by the WSM as an aid. Using newspapers or some other cover, you can remove the top grate and then easily remove the bottom grate (here's a good mod for bottom grate handles). You can then do your basting on the table with the lid back on the WSM to prevent temp spikes.

ime, there is no comparison between the two cookers you're considering. Go with the WSM. You won't be sorry.

Paul

I agree with Paul's recommendation, baste at a different location. The only difference is I use another grill that's not in use. I just set my WSM grate on the other grill's grate. What's nice about it is you don't have to clean it off - the next time you use it just fire it up and burn off any residue.

I have never come close to dropping anything off the grill when I move the grates. If I did I wonder if the five second rule applies! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_second_rule

The five second rule better apply! Especially if its a slab of baby back ribs that fell onto the ground. ;-)

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm glad to hear it isn't that big of a deal to sauce/mop stuff with the WSM. Looks like I found myself a new toy! Now I just gotta go and buy one.

Thanks again!

I got sick of the quality of my Char-Broil gas grill so I broke down and spent the money for a Weber. It was the one of the best things I have ever done. I would think the quality between the Char-Broil smoker and the Weber Smokey Mountain would be the same.

Glad to see another Massachusetts BBQ'er
icon_smile.gif
. I'm planning on doing a shoulder this weekend, but it might be difficult with the upcoming weather
icon_frown.gif

I did find it a pain to sauce the bottom rack just like in my ECB. I bought my weber after finding this site doing research on smokers. After trying the britu recipe I haven't sauced my ribs since. I haven't looked back either. I think sauce takes away from the ribs now.

I don't know if there are too many of us around (Mass-holes who BBQ). Well, technically I haven't started yet but it is inevitable. I plan on getting the WSM by the end of July so I plan on doing a pork butt by the middle of August. I will let people know when I get it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Gogolinski:
I got sick of the quality of my Char-Broil gas grill so I broke down and spent the money for a Weber. It was the one of the best things I have ever done. I would think the quality between the Char-Broil smoker and the Weber Smokey Mountain would be the same.

Glad to see another Massachusetts BBQ'er
icon_smile.gif
. I'm planning on doing a shoulder this weekend, but it might be difficult with the upcoming weather
icon_frown.gif
. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back