Do you baste or Mop your ribs?

Danielle D.

There are so many experienced people on this forum thought I would ask.

Curious to know if and why you baste or mop your ribs?

Used to, now I don't. First, it can wash off the rub. It doesn't add much flavor, that's what the rub is doing. If you cook the ribs right they'll be plenty moist. Every time you lift the lid you lose heat and extend/alter the cook.

And the most important reason, I'm lazy!
icon_biggrin.gif
I'd rather be lifting a beer than lifting the lid.

after taking DAL (dead ?$$ last) at a contest with ribs, where I was spritzing and taking so much care of them, I figured it wasn't necessary and haven't since.

I don't baste or mop my ribs at all. I agree with it rinsing off the rub. That is exactly why I don't.
Interesting to read your responses. Thank you.

I just spritz with apple juice two or three times towards the end of the cook. My best ribs turned out when I was busy and only spritz the ribs when I foiled them.

Ken

I know that this isn't the Competition forum, but don't judges expect to have a little sauce on the ribs?

I will add my preheated sauce to the ribs when there is about 10 minutes left in the cook. No basting, that is for turkeys.

I don't spray or baste. I sauce the last 20 minutes or so, run them under the broiler for about 1 minute to carmelize.

Back