Do I need to worry about Glaze burning in WSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi. I'm doing a ham Saturday. If I'm only going to run the WSM between 225 and 250 do I need to worry about the glaze burning?

I'll be using a guru so I'm pretty confident about the temperature control. Also, I'll be running with 50% orange/pineapple juice and 50% water in the water pan since I think this will enhance the recipe.

(I know there's some controversy out there about whether to run with a wet water pan while using the GURU but I'm gonna give it a try anyhow.)

Seems to me the combination of low temp and humid environment should mean I'm ok. This means I can start basting early rather than waiting until the last hour or so.

Thanks for any thoughts you all may have.

The main reason for using water in the pan is to control temperatures not to impart moisture or flavor into the meat.

The guru, so I've ben told, will control temps for you just fine, but, have at it. People tried to disuade Columbus also.

Rob, I'm not sure about the glaze burning ( I would put it on later in the cook) but I always use water in my pan and I always use the Guru. I have never had any problems with this combination. I may have missed it in the instructions, but I don't recall reading about not using water with the Guru.

Rob, at a max temp of 250*, I would not worry about the glaze burning. I wouldn't have it on the entire time though, either. Most recipes tell you to add it once the meat is at a certain temp. Don't remember what temp... and I'm at work (no cook books).

Thanks guys.

The recipe said to put the glaze on at 120 but then continued to say baste for about 30 minutes until a 10 to 15 lb ham shank gets up to 140. Here check it out:

Double smoked ham.

Seemed reasonalbe to infer they were cooking at a higher temperature than low and slow.

I've got an 18.5 lber so I think I'll start the glaze at 130* then baste every 10 minutes. That'll keep the heat down and slow the cook so my hunch is I'll be fine.

RE: Juice w/Guru in water pan. I've been cooking w/just foil most of the time but this recipe specified using the vapors from the juice as a tenderizing agent.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Rob, if it's like ribs, you wouldn't glaze until the last 1/2hr anyway, right? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mood of the topic. posted December 20, 2004 07:05 AM
Hmmmm that sounds right Greg.

But remember I'm completely ignorant when it comes to ham. For some reason I thought hams needed a heavy glaze coating.

Right? Wrong? I dunno.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back