Do hamburgers get pink color from smoke wood too?

Chad_M

TVWBB Member
I grilled some burgers last night on the one touch, and I put a big chuck of apple on for ambiance since we were all sitting outside.

It got dark out, and I am not a pro with burgers on charcoal yet (usually use my gasser). But I was pretty sure they were totally done. I pulled them off and let them sit, and then served them to myself and my kids. They were pretty pink inside, but tasted done and didn't have any excess juices running out.

All of us thought they tasted great with a hint of smoke and good texture, but I was wondering if the pink was real under cooked or just smoke?

Thanks-

Chad

Guess this was a pretty fast cook?

Minced meat pick up alot of color and smoke taste. But the ring forms from the outside. Har to tell without looking @ em.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was waiting on the wife to get some sides done, so I had the patties off direct heat for maybe 10 minutes, then slide them over direct heat for maybe 5 minutes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chad_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was waiting on the wife to get some sides done, so I had the patties off direct heat for maybe 10 minutes, then slide them over direct heat for maybe 5 minutes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

While there are a lot of variables involved, that sounds like medium well territory to me. However, it's not so long that medium is out of the question, either.

I cooked a prime rib once, using apple wood for some smoke, and the color was a deep pink even though I overcooked it a bit. So there could be something to that theory as well.

I agree with Sean. If it was from the smoke then there would be a ring as shown on This meatloaf cook. The pink interior with good texture is probably a medium cooked burger.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KevinJ:
I agree with Sean. If it was from the smoke then there would be a ring as shown on This meatloaf cook. The pink interior with good texture is probably a medium cooked burger. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It definitely did not look like that picture. It was pink away from the edge, not at the edge like shown.

I have never had a burger like last nights, but it was really good. Makes me wonder a little though, was it done enough to be safe?

mitt

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">,,,,,Makes me wonder a little though, was it done enough to be safe?

mitt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's been almost 24 hours now. How do you feel?

icon_wink.gif

JimT

My guess is that by not being able to see inside the burgers...you finally cooked one that you were happy with! Many people are afraid of medium-rare/medium meat just because they can see it, but once it's passed over your palate, there's no going back. Congrats on your tasty burgers, and once it stays lighter in the summer, cook in a nice dark closet.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">was it done enough to be safe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that has more to do with the source of the beef and how it was handled.

If I trusted the source and ground the beef myself, I'd eat it raw. If it was a frozen puck from a cardboard box, after what I've read, I'd need it welllll done before I'd eat it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">,,,,,Makes me wonder a little though, was it done enough to be safe?

mitt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's been almost 24 hours now. How do you feel?

icon_wink.gif

JimT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Other than being at work, I feel great.

chad
icon_smile.gif

"People who become infected with E. coli 0157:H7 experience a wide range of health effects. Some do not get sick at all. Others feel as though they have a bad case of the flu, with symptoms ranging from severe stomach cramps, to vomiting, fever, and watery or bloody diarrhea. These symptoms usually appear within one to ten days after contact with the bacteria, and clear up within five to ten days."

Honestly, Canadians are known for only eating fully cooked hamburgers...but I always temp my burgers and won't pull until 160 in the center.

Unless they were half-pounders, I can't imagine they weren't done after that amount of cooking. Ground meat has much more surface area, so I'd bet that pink was from smoke and not being undercooked. In that case the colors should range from brown/black on the outside, to pink ring next, then normal hamburger grayish-brown in the middle.

Uh-uh.

Rare, medium-rare, medium, etc., are visual points, not temp points, though temps can correlate. Rare is red, raw looking or bordering on it. It is also cool to the touch. (I love a rare burger.)

If you want consistent results a thermapen makes it a lot easier. Take some notes, ask everybody if their burger was over or under done or just right, and it doesn't take long to get it dialed in so everybody gets it just how they like it.

I have a thermapen, but usually reserve it for more complicated cooking. Burgers are normally pretty easy to hit a doneness that everyone likes in my house.

Back