Disappointing Cook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday I tried Sirloin Tip on the WSM. I found a 12 lb'er and cut it in half so I could try a couple of different methods.

The first one I did as suggested by Jim Minion in a post in the Beef Recipes forum.

The second one I did using only Texas BBQ rub as sold on TexasBBQrub.com.

My goal was to take the meat to 145 on the WSM since my guests wanted it medium. That might have been the first mistake.

It took 5/12 hours with grate temps of 260* - 270* to get to the internal temp of 145*. One roast got basted every 45 minutes after the first hour.

I used mesquite and apple wood; a couple of chunks each.

The meat was very ordinary. It was moist when I pulled it off the cooker to wrap in foil and hold in a cooler. It sat for a hour in foil. After it was cut to serve it seemed flavorful, but dry. The smoke flavor was good. And the Mr. Minion's mop recipe was awesome (gotta try that on something else sometime). The Texas BBQ Rub was good, but I don't think this was a fair test of it. Gonna try it on a butt!

I'm sure there's lots of things I could have done differently to make the meat come out better, but my overall thought is that this cut of beef is was too lean for real BBQ.

Brisket is next for me... back to Lo 'n Slo

Tom,

A few weeks ago, I cooked a 19 pound chuck roll.

Similar impression as yours regarding the results: Somewhat tasty, a bit dry in places.

Think I'll try a mop next time. AND remind myself that its not pork shoulder.

Barring standing rib roast, perhaps Pork is the ultimate BBQ meat?

-Albert

Hey Tom, don't give up on the ole' Tri-tip (I believe they're the same cut). Get a much smaller one next time and grill it on indirect heat with some Susie Q seasoning (mentioned on the site). I'm sure you'll find much better results.

Albert - I think you might be right... after all, a pig serves no purpose in life other than to be deeeelicious.

Brad - I'm not sure if this is the same as the Tri-Tip. This was sold as Beef Round Sirloin Tip. Not much fat at all. Now I do have a Chuck Roast in the freezer that has lots of fat. I'm gonna do that like the one Stogie has on his website... Lo and Slo at 3 hrs / lb. The pics on his site make it look mighty tasty. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tri-tip is not sirloin tip. Tri-tips, which typically average no more than 2-3 lbs. are better grilled, usually.

Brad
There not the same but from the sirloin group of cuts.
Tom
I always do pull earlier but keep in mind if your target temp is 145, then you pull 10 degrees earlier it will still hit that finish temp becuase of the stored heat in that large a piece of meat. Your finish was closer to 150 to 155.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Tom Ferguson
And the Mr. Minion's mop recipe was awesome (gotta try that on something else sometime). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom, could you please advise which mop you are referring to. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back