Direct Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Chance

Some don't like the taste imparted by grease dripping on live coals. I do. To me, that's what separates BBQ from simple smoked pork. I would like to try this on my WSM - cook a butt w/o water pan and allow grease to drip in coals. However, I think even the top cooking grate is too close to coal bed for that. Would the center section from a second WSM sit on top of the center section of another, thereby increasing the distance to the top grate? In other words, two center sections,stacked. Just a thought.

Hi Charles,
I cook butts on the top grill w/o a pan all the time. It works just fine.
Jim

Jim,
Thanks for your response. Do you have any trouble with keeping the grate temp at a reasonable lever, say 250*? Also, do you have trouble with flare-ups searing the butt?

Charles,
I haven't encountered any problems holding a desirable temp. I use the Minion method, and occasional adjustments to the bottom vents seem to do the trick.
I've also had no problems with flare-ups. The WSM doesn't seem to have enough oxygen flow, even with all vents wide open, to allow them. The dripping fat just smokes on the coals , creating that 'Q flavor that you (and I) enjoy so much.
I'll be cooking a couple of 8 pounders tomorrow, direct, and I can't wait. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back