dilema

JHunter

TVWBB Super Fan
I LOVE using my grill, but I need some recipes that are low calorie yet high in flavor/satisfaction. Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay , my wife and I have given up red meat for Lent. I also did last year and lost 10 lbs. Lots of grilling a little smoking I'll post as the 40 day's progresses

JHunter,

I posted a grilled chicken recipe under the Poultry recipe category on TVWBB last June, called MC Chicken. My wife got this recipe from our neighbor who was participating in Weight Watchers at the time, and I believe this is a WW recipe. We find the marinade provides flavor throughout the chicken - and it should be low cal as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JHunter:
I LOVE using my grill, but I need some recipes that are low calorie yet high in flavor/satisfaction. Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jay </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel ya. Seafood is different and fun. I learned to do some darn good scallops recently due to my diet. Seafood cooks really fast too.

I've also done a lot of experimenting with seasonings for chicken lately. That resulted in this.
imagecyh.jpg

By hogsfan at 2011-01-27

imagelzdu.jpg

By hogsfan at 2011-01-27

It wasn't a rack of babybacks but still tasty a very low calorie.

Justin,

That is awsome, and just what I was talking about... I guess its time to leave the red meat, and go chicken and seafood... I am going to pay a bit more, but I can't keep eating all this delicious red meat and pork...

Jay

This one is easy, low calorie, and tastes great.Get some Lawry's Garlic and Pepper marinade and some nice fresh boneless skinless chicken breasts. The package says to marinate for 30 minutes or more. I marinate them for 24 hours, then grill, being careful to get them done, but not overdone and dry. Easy and delicious.

Well started tonight, had boneless/skinless chicken breast with No. 5 sauce, and a carrot and apple salad with orange/lime vinegratte I made. Everything tasted great and was home made LOVED IT!

Sounds great Hunter. Chicken can me made in so many ways.RS/cornell is great. And "lean meat+grill" is the best way to eat it.

for sure spices are yer friend. also cooking up a lot of veggies will fill ya up. and no joke, drink a big glass of water before eating.

I'm with George on this one....lots of grilled veggies such as Butternut pumpkin(squash) and other squashes....corn on the cob, Potato (sparingly) zucchini, eggplant, onions, bell peppers, broccoli, bok choy or pak choy, carrots, mushrooms man the list is endless to what you can grill with vegetables.
When cutting and slicing them..do the eggplant last as it tends to go brown unless you place it in cold water first.
Get one of those high sided weber vegetable grilling trays and heat up on your hot grill, you'll need to soak you veggies in cold water for about 20 mins prior to putting in the tray and keep a spray bottle handy full with water to keep spraying the veggies so they won't dry out.
Why water? because it keep the vegetables from burning too fast compared to using a spray oil (although sometimes it's good to use spray oil for just the butternut,potatoes and zuccini but I like to use water...just keep tossing them around till they are softening and getting that stirfry look about them...delish
Chuck some spices in with them like a tuscan mix or even cajun.

Oh yeah as for meat..you guys love Turkey right?

Lean, mean and high in Protein!!

Cheers

Davo

In the western world, we tend to eat much more animal protein than we really need. Cut back on meat servings and cut out the starch component of the meal (potato, noodles, rice). Sub the starch with another veggies dish. The key is to make the veggies really tasty, which may take some research for new recipes. In the autumn/winter, I love roasted vegetables (carrots, sweet potato, parsnip, onion, etc) with herbs. Brussel sprouts are really great roasted too.
Another low fat idea is homemade soup. Start any dinner with a big bowl of soup and you're bound to eat less of the rest. Good luck!
icon_smile.gif

Grilled romaine halves:

split romaine down the middle through the stem,
spray with olive oil, salt, pepper, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

grill over high heat 1-2 minutes until slightly charred

squeeze lemon over warm hearts, serve immediately

Dave, I have been looking for that recipe!!! Thanks for sharing, my first go at it didn't go very well. And now I know why...
icon_smile.gif

J

We substitute ground turkey for beef and pork in a lot of recipes, like hamburgers and meatloaf. In a lot of ways I prefer the turkey now since it's much more receptive to seasonings than beef.

Justin W., I’d like to duplicate your meal. I see chicken breast (indirect) and shrimp (direct) on your grill. How did you cook them? Always situated as in the photo? What marinade? What rub or spice? And like that.

I always found turkey burgers to be dry and unappealing. Until I found out this little tidbit.

Take ground turkey and add the following:

Equal parts oil, bread crumbs, and brown sugar. Then season them however you would want them to taste (i.e.. southwest spicy, tropical, etc).

The oil makes them really juicy. The bread crumbs help them keep their shape, and the brown sugar helps create a charred crust that beef burgers get on the grill, but regular turkey burgers often lack.

I'm always reactions of surprise and excitement when I make these for someone new.

JHunter,

Looks like others have already posted this, but pretty much ANY seafood will be both healthy and tasty. There are many treasures of the sea, so you won't have to worry about getting burned out by eating the same thing again and again like you might with chicken.

Back